Sign in to follow this  

Tightening spokes...I need some help

Very frustrated. I'm still a kid so I have a valid exuse :cry: I have never tightened spokes before. I have a 2005 CRF250R wtih about 10 hours on it. I washed my bike today and noticed quite a few spokes were loose. I've tightened them once before but I don't know if I did it correctly. If someone could give me a few steps on how to ADJUST spokes, I would be very thankful. Also, when I'm done tightening them, if the wheel has a few high spots or is wobbling a little bit, How do I go about fixing that? I would be happier if I get done tightening them and the wheel is still straight :cry:

I read it but have issues. I had spokes at every tightness level from nipple wiggling in rim to dog ear only (almost)high pitched ring. Going around evenly seemed detached from reality. One guy wrote what I went with and here it is: tighten whats loose and go ride your bike. He said he was experienced and his method worked for him. I tightened mine like he said (with dial indicators on both axis to see what was going on)and I feel his method filled my needs best. Grab a wrench,snug 'em up and try to forget about it. :cry: Scotty

Anyone know what size is needed front/rear for an 04 CRF250X?

Is is totally normal to adjust everything perfectly and still have spokes loosen on a new bike. After a few rides, they will stop. After a year or so you look at the spokes, but rarely do you adjust anything.