Sign in to follow this  

yamaha 360 enduro

Anyone know what model a "yamaha 360 enduro" could possibly be? There is one for sale pretty cheap in the local paper and I'm trying to figure out what it is. Also says "its stuck in 2nd". :cry:

If the gas tank is black it is a '70 or '71.They had a yellow or red stripe on the tank for each year(sorry I can't remember)But I think red is '71.

In my opinion the '71s are the best because they have the "look" of that era.They can go fast too but don't expect much in the way of handling and braking.It would be cool to have a nice '71 360 RT1!

In '72 the tanks were silver and had a hinged gas cap and also was the first year for reed valves.

After that they were green and becoming really heavy pigs and I lost interest...

The 360 was an excellent hill climber and over all general dirt bike for its time. I belive 73 it came out with the gray tank, reed valving, hinged gas cap and 21" front wheel. Prior to that, it had the 3.50x19 front wheel size.

1971 was black tank with yellow stripe. 1972 was black tank with red stripe. 73 was all gray.

If he says stuck in 2nd, that means the bike is stuck in 2nd gear. Probably one of the shift forks has broken in the tranny and caused this. An easy fix when you split the cases. A good manual, a couple tools and 2-3 hours of work and you can split the cases, fix it and button it back up. Easy bikes to work on. :cry:

I had a DT360, forget what year its been so long ago, but it had a green tank, was a great bike, fast and had lots of @ss for climbing, only bad side was really had no ground clearance, and was ofcourse heavy, but a great runner.

Bob

Found a picture of one like the one I had, its a 1974 DT360

[image]index.jpg[/image]

Cool! :cry: My uncle had a 360 like that too, it was green as well. My cousin had a red DT175, roughly the same year as the 360. They were the first two dirt bikes I ever got on (as a passenger, I was too young to ride them). I used to love to visit them, just to see the bikes :cry:

I had 2 of them years ago, a 73 and a 74. Both had maroon tanks, both were RT's. As I recall the RT was the enduro model with head and tail lights, the DT was "racing" model with no lights.

Prolly the other way around, because the pic I have is of the DT360 1974, so its prolly the RT was the race version.

Bob

Here is a 1973 RT360, maybe they did not make one in 74, I can't seem to find a picture of one anyhow.

Bob

[image]3a_12_sb.jpg[/image]

The DT was the 250 and the RT was the 360. When they came out with a motocross model they were DT250MX or RT360MX. Basically all lights stripped off, a GYT pipe and stiffer springs front and rear and number plates. And knobbies instead of trials tires. Just as the 125 was an AT and the 175 a CT. Of course the 175 never came out as a motocross bike back then. Just the 60, 125, 250 and 360. The 250 with a 60 rear sproket and 12 front could climb anything you had the ba__s to attempt and hold on too. And with a compression releash screwed into the 2nd plug hole, you could creep back down that same steep hill. :cry: Stephen

Apparently your memory is much better than mine, thanks for the heads up... Both of mine had comp releases and lights

1973-1976 its a DT360 red tanks were 1973's blue were 1975 i think. things run forever so keep it!

Guys I've been looking for one of these for a long time. Had one when I was a kid. I'm looking for a 250 or 360 from 1970 to 76. Doesn't have to be in great shape or anything. If you know of one, please drop me a line at osterreicherbikr@hotmail.com

Hello, hope you guys will paitent we me ,am new here and a little thick on top. will soon jump in the deep end trying to do revive a 70s yam rt1 360 as well as a couple dt1s.and 250 mx. I dont have title for the 360 yet so I dont know for shure what year it is .It seemes to have an burnt orange/rust color tank, black stripe with a latch gas cap, believed to be 21'' frnt wheel , fenders are silver ,dont know if somebody been swapn stuff around .71 is my best guess. got to be some more clues to make them more differentiable

hello, maybe was orange and sun baked darker, I dont know but will have to do complete rebuild on seized motor . frozen at crank ,piston and cylinder look good though. The guy sold it to me had it for twenty years, he thought it was a dt 250 . he bought a extra dt 250 motor for it on e bay ,decided not to mess with after .I got it all for 150.oo . will put the bfore pics up soon as learn how

Hello, hope you guys will paitent we me ,am new here and a little thick on top. will soon jump in the deep end trying to do revive a 70s yam rt1 360 as well as a couple dt1s.and 250 mx. I dont have title for the 360 yet so I dont know for shure what year it is .It seemes to have an burnt orange/rust color tank, black stripe with a latch gas cap, believed to be 21'' frnt wheel , fenders are silver ,dont know if somebody been swapn stuff around .71 is my best guess. got to be some more clues to make them more differentiable

Black with yellow stripe = 1970 RT1, low front fender, 19" front wheel, piston port motor.

Black with red stripe = 1971 RT1B, low front fender, 19" front wheel, piston port motor.

Silver with Yamaha decal = 1972 RT2, 21" front wheel, low fender, Reed Valve motor.

Burnt Orange (Baja Brown), long swoosh stripe = 1973 RT3, 21" front wheel, low fender, Reed valve motor.

They are all 360 Yamahas. The RT1 designation is what all of the serial numbers will start with.

If the serial number starts with DT1 then it is a 250.

Thanks, looks like some one switched tanks on it bfore i got it . color suggests a 73 rt3, but model num on motor case say RT 1