Sign in to follow this  

Skid Plate - Which One?

Bought an 03 'S' a few weeks ago and have been gobbling up information on this forum for about 4 weeks now. Thanks!

Need some advice on skid plates.

I'm looking at the White Brothers Skid Plate; however in my research I've also found www.tonnsracing.com. Seems to be a small shop offering skid plates. Anyone have a set of these? What are you thoughts? How do these compare to the White Brother's? I've pretty much ruled out the Baja Designs, unless you guys can give me any convincing arguments that they are better than White Brothers.

Thanks for any info upfront.

BillKat

The plate made by that guy is,, well rough looking.. but if you believe what he as to say about his own product (the only product he makes) it is better then anything out there. Might be true :cry: As he was asked to stop spamming the list,,, I would not expect a lot of info to come from TT on his product.

The WB is a nice unit,, and has proven to work well. The TT store has them at competitive prices :cry:

The BD is also a nice unit now that they finally updated it to get rid of the cheesy clamps.

EDIT: Wanted to make sure,, everybody knew,, The maker of the this plate, did spam the site, but understood the Pm's sent to him,, and politely, stopped,, He has done just what was asked of him in that regards,, and Has been posting as part of the community ever sense.

No hard feelings .. and just cuz a fabbed product is rough,, don’t mean it does not work great..

:cry:

Both BD and Moose are good plates.

Both have updated their plates to include the attachment kit I used to sell.

I still have some kits avaiable if you have an older style plate.

Corky :cry::cry:

i got one of the Tonns racing skid plates...

Its rock solid, I had a WB skid plate before this plate...

the tonns racing skid plate definately covers more of your engine.... it gives way more protection to your motor than the WB skid plate.

The WB skid plate is more of a pretty skid plate where as the tonn skid plate is more of a ruff and tuff skid plate...

The WB skid plate is easier to take on and off than the tonn skid plate but, the tonn skid plate really isn't much harder...

The tonn skid plate uses the side bolt holes, i think it makes it stronger that way.....

Both BD and Moose are good plates.

Both have updated their plates to include the attachment kit I used to sell.

I still have some kits avaiable if you have an older style plate.

Whats an attachment kit? I'd like to see a picture of that , can you post one so we can check it out? Is it a bolt on thing or do you have to own a tig welder? I've talked to guys that told me they added on to their BD and other brand skid plates and it sounded interesting! I asked for pictures but have not recieved any yet! :cry:

its a kit (bolts and spacers) that allows the old style BD plate to bolt on the stock mounting holes like the newer Bd and WB plates.

i used it when i had a old style plate.simple and works.

i personally do not run the "shovels" on my bikes.

i run the DSP/lightspeed carbon engine gaurds and the skid plate.

I use the WB and have ridden thru some pretty rocky areas over the last 2 years and have not had any problems. :cry:

its a kit (bolts and spacers) that allows the old style BD plate to bolt on the stock mounting holes like the newer Bd and WB plates.

i used it when i had a old style plate.simple and works.

i personally do not run the "shovels" on my bikes.

i run the DSP/lightspeed carbon engine gaurds and the skid plate.

Burned, whats the DSP? Not sure i've seen that! What do you think of the carbon guards? My buddie works over at team Rahal and they mess around with lots of cabon stuff on the indy cars and it seems pretty tuff. Do you go hard core riding with that or is it on your SM? Pictures? :cry: :cry:

DSP was/is the largest maker of offroad carbon fiber.they are now known as lightspeed.

i wouldnt run anything else.not so concerned about the the wieght.more of the clean look and good protection.it is way lighter though.

http://www.lightspeedperf.com/

DSCF00041.JPG

Do you go hard core riding with that or is it on your SM? Pictures?

on both bikes.dude, i trail ride in colorado.nuff said. :cry:

Ya man those are awesome! Been there done that colorado thing so they must be tuff to with stand boulder blows!They never crack or anything? How many times have you whacked them? You can't even really tell that they are on there! :cry:

they have taken some pretty good shots.the gel coat shows some signs,thats about it.they are about 1/4" thick.

its really 3 peices.

the skid plate covers the bottom of the frame.the engine gaurds bolt to the stock holes.

so if you run with out the engine gaurds its a glide plate.

I bought a Devol for my S, only to find that it didn't fit over the water pump. I decided to go with carbon fiber, as I didn't like the bulky look of the aluminum skid plates, especially after seeing the Devol in person. The factory DSP guards look nice, but are very expensive and didn't seem to protect the frame very well. I bought a full one-piece carbon fiber skidplate from E-line, and couldn't be happier -- perfect fit, lightweight, and form-fitting. :cry:

Mr Tonn,

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send all info.

I put on the WB plate a few weeks ago. I like it. 2 problems though, one, the hole for the oil drain didn't quite line up. I just oversized it with a hole saw, and the other is that the allen head screws that hold it on are not recessed, and are vulnerable to get smacked on rocks. Then you can't get the wrench in there. I haven't found a solution for that yet. Other than that it is good. Makes a funny hollow sound when it smacks rocks though! :cry: