Sign in to follow this  

Spoke Wrench

All the shops in my area have the number system (ie 1,2,3,4,5,6) for their spoke wrenches. I know I need a 6mm and a 6.7mm wrench for the front and rear (I hope those are the right sizes) but does anyone know what sized wrench I need in the "number system"?

yes u are congrats. U sure about that? Anyone else willing to verify? My shop won't let me return the wrench so i wanna be sure it's the right one. :cry:

I am using the spoke wrench that came with the bike. It has an 8 and 9 stamped on the 2 ends. The 8 fits on the front and the 9 on the rear. I'm not sure if it's in mm or not, and it's not the greatest fit. It also doesn't have a Kawasaki part numberon it that I could give you either.

The adjustable wrench is probably your best bet, cheapest too. I'm going to wait and get a new set of rims then get that spoke torque wrench with the right size heads so it doesn't try and round off the nipples like the Kawasaki wrench.

Used it for a while yesterday and i haven't rounded off any nipples. It doesn't slip or anything either. too bad most of the spokes were loose on the rear wheel. After 3 hours the thing still isn't true. All well, going back for round 2 tonight (hopefully if I have time)

Dirtmachine, what method are u using to tighten the spokes? Isnt it every 4 spokes u can tighten and still be balanced right?

I have a dial indicator setup and when I see the rim is more than + or - .04 in, I turn the spoke(s) the apprpriate direction to bring it in spec. Usually this turns out to be 3-4 spokes. Remember you only want to turn each spoke 1/2 turn (make sure all your spokes are sufficiently tight before you start truing the wheel) at a time so you don't throw axial or radial trueness off. BTW, I did managed to get the rear wheel trued last night in about another hour. So if you have really loose spokes (some of mine were so loose you could move them) plan a good chunk of time. Today I have the front wheel, good news is I should get it done in time for my Columbus Day ride. Fortunately, no spokes are loose up front.

If you go every 3 spokes it will all line up after 3 times around. That's the way I always go. And if you tighten them every time you ride they won't get too loose and get un-trued. It takes a little more time, but worth it in the long run. :cry:

every third spoke on the rim, side doesn't matter. i think it was either TWMX or MXA that had that article about tightening spokes. check these web sites for archived "how to" articles:

www.transworldmotocross.com

www.motocrossactionmag.com

I'm pretty sure it was one of those, it had a pretty good write up and some pictures. Good luck and check them all the time. My buddy left his go once and ONE spoke got loose and punched a hole in his tube-ruined his day. :cry: