Sign in to follow this  

Reading spark plugs

What do you all make of this plug? Been in for about a month. The bike stutters at 1/3-2/3 steady throttle. The gap was .004 over spec. Also, the air filter was a little over oiled.

IM000544.jpg

IM000545.jpg

It looks like a leaner needle clip position is needed. It depends on the pilot/fuel screw setting whether there is more adjustment needed.

James

It also looks like you need to squirt a little WD-40 in the spark plug weep hole on the side of the head, so water doesnt corrode your sparky plug. :cry:

Thanks James. I adjusted the needled one clip up (lower needle) at a time until I got to the #1 position (clip all the way up) It runs good up to 3/4 throttle now, but then starts stuttering from 3/4 to WOT. Now what, main jet?

The top clip seems excessive. Have you cleaned the carb? There could be a clogged air jet or passage. Float level adjusted correctly or air filter clean?

I would suggest that you go back 1 step on the clip position and then use the stock pilot jet and main jet if they are not already. Adjust the fuel screw starting from the factory setting.

James