Sign in to follow this  

ATK 605, Is this a good bike?

I just bought a 99 Atk 605, and was wondering if anyone has had much experiance with it. I am planning on licencing it, but will use it mostly as a play bike/trail bike. Lets hear your comments. Also how does this bike compare to some other bikes power wise?

Yes, you got a "good" bike! If, by that, you mean does the top of the line hubs, spokes, wheels, brakes, handlebars, suspension and bullet-proof motor make a good bike?

I have a '95 605 that is dual sported here in California. I love it!

I would, if I were you, have the forks and shocks cleaned, re-sealed and re-filled with fluid, set the valves to 4-5 thou., change oil and filter and for sure change the belt (no way of knowing how old it is).

I bought my bike to see if I still enjoyed dirt riding, then I would buy a new bike. Well, I do still enjoy it but I have no desire to buy a new bike! It goes like stink, handles well, keeps up with traffic on my way to the off road park and is still a competant dirt bike. Also, it is heavy, but weighs the same as some new middleweight dual-sports like the DRZ-400s and a lot lighter than the Honda and KTM factory dual sports heavy weights. :cry:

Thanks Norm, I got the bike last Saturday, Put on 35 miles and a screw that had backed out of the starter gear cover backed out, and when I went over a bump it must have gotten into the belt and caused much havic. I removed the engine from the bike (No easy task) took the head off and examined the piston, and head. I could see where the piston had just came in contact with the exhaust valves, as it took a little of the carbon of the piston. Everything seemed to look ok.

So I put it back together and went for a ride. It seems to run as good as before. Taking the motor apart was a piece of cake compared to getting it out and back in the frame.

I wish I had a little more money right now and I would have put in a higher compression piston and had some head work done. But a rideable bike is my biggest priority right now. Mark

Hey Mark -

Sorry to hear about your little mis-hap, but glad to see you're back on the road.

Just for future reference, and for anyone else out there with a V-Framed 605, you don't need to remove the engine from the frame like a conventional bike.

What you do is un-bolt the lower subframe bolts, the lower shock mount bolts, and all the bolts holding the frame to the cylinder. Now after you've removed some various wires, cable and fuel lines, you can flip the sub-frame up over the gas tank and lift the entire frame off the engine. You just roll it out of the way on the front wheel! :cry:

This will leave you with the engine sitting on the bike stand. The pegs, rear brake, swingarm, rear wheel and carb will still be attached. It looks funny sitting there - like you almost could ride it (DON'T)... :cry: :cry: :cry:

With a little practice, the whole thing takes about 15 minutes to do...

Hope this helps!

~ Ken

One of my riding buddies has owned a 99 605 since it was new. He has both dirt and motard wheels for it. He rides with us on our off road rides in Colorado and swaps wheels and rides with us on our sport bikes on mountain roads and track days. I don't know how many miles that thing has on it, but it has done more than any one bike ever should have been ask to do and keeps on going. He even raced the Pikes Peak hill climb with it and finished in the upper half of 750 pro class. Basically bone stock! Unbelievably good all around bike!

Ken,

Thanks for the info. This will save me much time in the future I'm sure. I put on about another 100 miles on the bike yesterday, and the more I ride it, the more I like it. It really shines on the trails. It is like a tractor down low, but will come alive if you give it the gas.

It is a heavy bike, but once your going it doesn't feel heavy. It does feel heavy when jumping though. The suspension is set up way too soft for that.

Now I just need to find some good riding buddies. Anyone in Northern Utah, out there?

Mark. :cry:

Good to hear it Mark. Take the advise Norm has given and have, at the very least, your forks serviced. The Paolis can be setup to perform pretty well, but the porus aluminum that the sliders are cast out of will contaminate your fork fluid about every 400-500 miles until they're VERY well broken in.

If your forks feel soft, it's most likely a greyish metal sludge that's holding your compression stack open. Just have them serviced and it will make the bike feel like new again.

~ Ken

I also have a 99 ATK 605. I love that bike. I almost sold it this summer because of $ issues, but couldn't.

Follow the advise about the Paoli forks and the timing belt. Other than that the bike rocks. A tractor down low is right! Do yourself a favor and go ahead and get the motard wheels to swap out. Otherwise you will be wearing out the nobbys quick. Mine is street legal and has really helped on saving gas (since i have a 80 series land cruiser :cry:) while prices have been sky high.

Good luck and have a blast.

Where are you getting the supermotard wheels from?

Did you relace your Talon hubs?

Who did it? Where did you get the spokes?

Havent found them available yet, but will be talking to ATK parts person tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bikermike