Sign in to follow this  

o-ring chain vs. non

O-ring chain has an o-ring in between the links to hold lubricant in and will last alot longer than non o-ring.

I was recently educated on this one so now I can pass on my knowledge (or lack there of). O ring chains have little rubber gaskets (o-rings) on the inside of the links. Non do not. The debate is if the rubber has some drag on the motor, making it pull more to do the same job. I would say VERY little if any difference. Non need to be oiled constantly. O-ring need to be old with a different oil occasionally, but the contact area is protected, so not as big a deal. There is also a chain called X-ring which is an o-ring with x looking peices outside of the o so it is harder for dirt and crud to get in the hole. Did I confuse you enough? Ok, regular rider? Get an o or X if you can afford it. :cry: :cry:

Jeph is correct.

Since we aren't factory supported pro's and don't get our chains and sprockets replaced every race. For the rest of us. An O-ring chain will last a year or more with regular maintenence, where a non O-ring chain may last 6 months if that. I don't think you or I will ever see the benifits of the reduced friction, but I know we will appreciate the enhanced chain life we get from an O-Ring chain. The initial cost and long life far outweighs the inexpensive initial cost and lack of wear of a non-o ring chain.

Steve