Sign in to follow this  

uh oh.. another advice request for a tire size question (sorry)

XR 650L .. OEM rim 18" x 2.50"

Street use only. Hard riding, tight in corners....

120/80/18 120/90/18 130/80/18 or 130/90/18 ?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions !!!!!!

Brian

Remember, it's a dirtbike with dirtbike suspension. Get a tire that will match the suspension. If you've adjusted your bike for street riding, then you might pose this question on the Motard Section, as I see some of those bikes on the street.

Sorry, I'm no suspension expert, that would be for the suspension section here. A dirtbike on the street permanently? I'd go buy a streetbike. My bike's plated, but that's just for the Dual Sport Rides I go on.

Good luck! :cry:

It's not a suspension question. And no offense... I don't want a street bike. I love dirt bikes. Always have, always will. So for someone who has always loved dirtbikes, and wants the best of both worlds, what better than to buy a project bike and start building it for permanent street use ! :cry: (If I wanted to go that route.. aka motard, I'd probably get a KTM.. but I love my XR toooo much to let it go)

Which is probably why I'm getting little response to what tire size is best to go with for my application.

I've narrowed the width down to 120... But I just can't figure out in my head which profile would be the *most* beneficial.. the 80 or the 90. I see alot of guys overseas that have the XR use either a 120/90 or 130/90 but my thought is that with an 80 series there would be less roll in a tight corner. But if I was right, then wouldn't there be alot more people running the 120/80 ?

I am currently running the 120/90 and it's nice. It just feels sometimes like it's going to give or fold over some at 31 psi. on a tight corner... My questions have been disregarded in the 650 group, and the supermotard group suggested I come here. I realize I am in a wierd situation. I AM taking a dirt-bike and making it for street use only.

Why some ask? Because it don't get much funner. If I'm in the twisties, I can chump a busa. At a stop light, I bring shame to mustangs, and the whole entire time, I don't have to wait for the weekend to hit the dirt. Rain or shine I can jump on my pig anytime I want to, and well... what can I say.. I do have the best of both worlds!

:cry:

I do believe what he is getting at is that your questions would be better put to the guys (and gals) in the motard forum, whereas such a conversion like yours is common.

Sorry...

The motard guys suggested I come here to this forum... (I'm not running 17" wheels....)It's just frustrating. You'd think a tire size question would be easy, but then you stop and think, "Well, I do have an application unlike most others" and then your next thought is "crap... what have I gone and done and gotten myself into now...." I guess I know how Delorean felt when first starting, except I can't go bankrupt because I is already broke :cry:

For what it's worth guys, I do appreciate you trying to help.

Brian

Get the 130/80. Lower profile and wider. I feel the same as you. I refuse to buy a street bike when my DS suits me just fine. I like dirtbikes, end of story. I have a 1990 DR650 and I run 130/80/17 on the back. If you check the Yahoo DR650 members group you can find pics under Mark's 1990. You will see my 100% usage DS bike running Dunlop 606's. Looks great!

In that one thread where you posted on 17" wheels I think is some interesting information on the contact patch made by certain size tires, I would read thru again to see if it will give you the answers you are looking for.

That was great info on the contact patch.

I guess I'm just mind-f&%#ing myself now.

I guess the difference is so marginal between a 80 and 90 series on a 120 width tire, it's not gonna matter much anyway, one of the posts I just received back is:

"The 90 series tire is taller (marginal) than the 80 series. What this would give you is a taller rear end, steeper fork angle for quicker turning, and a slightly taller final gear ratio for more top end. These are all minute differences from the 80 series tire, but no less valid."

Which makes perfect sense! I then again confused my self though by looking at the new AM23 by Avon, that has a tere at 140.65 that will run stable on a 2.15" rim according to motorcycle magazine.

Maybe I should just buy the same size I have on now and shut up before my head friggin explodes...... arghhh...

FYI....130/80 will have just about the same sidewall height as a 120/90 (4mm to be exact).