Sign in to follow this  

What to do

Okay i have never realy got a straight anawer in this subject, but what do i need to do to put a head light on crf150 with as little as modifacation as posible?? I heard toast talk about a 35 watt bulb design, and i was wondering can that just bolt up with no other modifacations???

I'm in the process of deciding whether to do this right now.

Let's see if I have this figured so far- if anyone else can comment or supply an easier way, let us know:

1) You'll have to rewind the stator- the CRF150 produces pretty much nothing.

The bigger names in the US that I've been in contact with are:

Ricky Stator website

Baja designs website

Ricky Stator said they'll rewind the 150 stator to run 150 watts for $100.

Baja Designs will rewind to power a 35W headlight for $90 (didn't get what the wattage output would be but it doesn't sound like they're doing as much as Ricky stator. On their chart they rewind a 0 TTR to 110 watts so this is maybe the same?)

The other thing I looked into was simply changing the 150 for the 230 stator. Both the above companies weren't sure whether the 230 stator would fit perfectly onto the 150 and said I'd have to call Honda to determine but advised that it would still be best to rewind the 150 stator anyway as the 230 stock stator isn't meant to run headlights (only keep the battery up) although it can under the right scenario.

2) You'd then need a regulator- for lights only, you'd need an AC voltage regulator. If you want to run a battery as well (which I may end up doing for my GPS) you'd need a a rectifier regulator (quoted at ~$45). The wiring issues will depend on what you end up with for regulators, etc (this seems to be my biggest stumbling point so far to determine). Baja Designs has some wiring info on their technical info site:

Wiring options

3) Obviously, you'll need a headlight. Which one depends on what your needs are and how much wattage you end up with.

4) Lastly, a switch to turn the lights on and off would probably be a good idea. I'm not sure if it would be absolutely necessary though, unless you had the battery (or at the amount being produced by that stator if you have a lower wattage light)

Turn around time for the stator rewind has been quoted at 2-3 days.

Added/edited: Something that I forgot to mention that has been suggested before and I do keep coming back to as well, is to just get a helmet light/headlamp and take it with me when I think I may need it. I'm probably not going to actually need the headlight very often, at least I don't think so at this point.

hmmmm i wonder if i could mount a battery sum where on the bike to run the light with :cry:

Of course you can it's the same frame as the 230. Read lilgirls post. You don't need a battery but you do need a rewound stator & a regulator.

Great post Lilgirl! A+

:cry:

Thanks! Now, if I could only make a great decision. It's only money right?? So why not.... but then... it's money, how much do I put into this bike if I'm still wondering if I need to move up? ARRRRggggh!

no_ob- you can definitely mount a battery, the only question is- do you need to? I'd like the battery to run my GPS (another wiring pain in the butt though) but you don't really need one for just the headlights but I wonder if it might smooth out the lower rpm irritation. (although the regulator will help with that too)

Sounds like a lowered 230 might be money well spent! I have a 12 volt plug now so I can power my GPS. :cry: I don't have a mount for it(the GPS) yet, though. :cry: I ran the wire up for the headlight & just soldered a splice in to go to the 12 volt plug. Really not much of a pain. Admittedly easier since I have a battery though, than it would be for the 150.

Also, my headlight is working great so far but I haven't given it much of a test so far. Just a few hours of daylight. I need to go for a long night ride. :cry:

I know, I know. The 230 seems to be the only upgrade answer for me at this time, unless I spend big bucks or go to a 2 stroke, but I'm stubborningly holding out because I just don't want those extra 20 lbs. I weigh 112 and I'm 5'4" so adding another 20 lbs for me is alot of weight. Doable but not enjoyable. Not falling in weird spots doesn't appear to be an option for me. :cry:

The fit of the 150 (which would be the same with a lowered 230) is pretty much perfect for me. The only thing I don't like is how low the ground clearance is.

Also, I know it's just plain goofy- but I like my kickstart, although I sure could use that e-start now and then in the really ugly stuff!

I keep hoping my riding will just improve more and those tricky hills won't be as tricky. I'm certainly getting up them with less problems than even a few months ago but, realistically, power would sure be helpful. I don't need more speed, just the power.

That's interesting to hear how you've setup your GPS and having a battery with the CRF230 would certainly be a bonus. I have a bike mount which works pretty good. I still zap strap the GPS unit on as well though because it has fallen off without been zapped down.

Good point! I couldn't imagine having a bike twice my weight on the trail. The 150 is no light weight either. I understand, it puts you in a tough spot. No offense but you're very light. I'm fortunate enough (I guess :cry: about twice your weight) to be able to pick my bike up if need. I weigh almost as much as the bike. :cry: .........Ok, not funny. I could lose a few pounds. :cry:

What 2 stoke are you considering?

Unless you really need the electric start I think you have a good bike for you. Just put a head light on it & you'll have what you need/want. The batteries on the GPS are good for a couple hours! :cry: And you can always carry spares.

I'm light but I'm no lightweight :cry: I'm pretty strong really but I still like the idea of a lighter bike because I think (among many things) knowing that it's no big deal to move your bike around makes you more willing to "just try that wicked trail or hill" rather than weighing out "giving it a go" vs. "calculating the effort to get the bike up/back down".

I probably wouldn't be against going to a CRF230 if I could find a used one for a decent price but that's not happening where I live.

I haven't even been on a 2 stroke yet but the KX100 seems to be the one the other gals are trying out.

I think my husband would be pretty irritated at me if I came home with a 2 stroker though. We'll have to see where I go with all this. More than likely I'll find another bike and put major bucks into lowering it, etc... I'd definitely rather have a 4 stroke as I only trail ride. The only reason the 2 stroke looks appealing is the weight issue.

Common sense says that I should go one more winter in Baja with the CRF150 without putting any more money into it and then see what I need from there. Human nature says I should add stuff to make my time there more enjoyable, even if it means money I don't have (who does?) :cry: