Sign in to follow this  

Just bought an '03 KLX400SR need armor.

I just bought an all stock, (with the exception of DOT knobs) KLX400SR, street legal model. I need to get it up to speed fast due to an upcoming dual sport ride I'll be going on, (the FCT in Arkansas). I gotta get all this stuff on order and get it installed next weekend, and I want to be sure I get the right body armour for it, so; Is the unabiker rad guards the best? What is the best skid plate, I have seen one model that extends up the left side case to help prevent the shifter from puncturing the left side case. Also, I need a set of GOOD barkbusters. I'd like a set that is basically just a big ass aluminum frame, (that don't slip/rotate when you smack something) that may also have some big plastic removeable shrouds for winter riding. What is a good model to get that fits well on the KLX/DRZ? I suppose I need the CFC case guards. I suppose I'll also replace the handlebars soon as I imagine they are just looking for an opportunity to bend. I will also need pretty soon a larger tank, I'm figuring the 3.9 Clarke will be the one. Can you see the fuel level on the translucent white one? I'll run the stock exhaust, (quiet is nice for some of the "recon" we do ;-)) pull the snorkel only at this time and dynojet it. Also is there any aftermarket air filters that may be of better quality than the stock filter. So the list is;

skid plate

bark busters

big gas tank

cfc case guards

handlebars

DJ kit

smaller c-shaft sprocket

air filter

There will be more stuff later but this gets the bike trail worthy I think. It would be great if there was one or two sources where I could get all this stuff.

I'[ve been riding a '98 RXCe400 KTM for the last 6 years. The KLX is smoother, has a little better suspension and has more power and also has a big aftermarket where the RXC has virtually none. I just hope the KLX is a tough as the old RXC has been.

Thanks in advance for answers to the above questions.

-Terry

Kissshot1@aol.com

Wow, so many questions..!!

I'll put my 2pennys worth on a couple of 'em.

Hanguards: I've a set of Acerbis Rally Pro's on my DRZ and while the guard itself is tough as old boots the bracket is a weak point I feel (poxy M5 bolts shear when I tighten them up) For that reason I bought Tusk D Flex guards to go on my new WR, these have the removable plastic spoilers you mention, but again the weak point is the bar bracket, mine snapped during the first outing! I would recommend the Tusks, but get the oversized bar adaptor (as well as some O/S bars to fit 'em to) Try www.rockymountainmc.com

Bike Protection: I have CRD stuff & Gadget on the WR and prefer the CRD as it seems stronger, it's taken a real battering without any problems, go for Alu rather than plastic frame guards for sure.

HTH

I have seen many respected people here offer up the cycra probend handguards. Apparently, you want the triple clamp mounts. Haven't heard of any problems with them.

Well one thing is for sure, if you need the stuff quickly you need to place an order today so it will ship monday. The TT store has very swift delivery, perhaps the fastest Ive seen. They have pretty much everything you described! Start shopping and come thursday you'll be really busy getting it all together. Send some pics :cry:

skid plate

bark busters

big gas tank

cfc case guards

handlebars

DJ kit

smaller c-shaft sprocket

White Bros, Moose, Baja Design, pic what looks good to you and run it.

Cycra Probend with the triple clamp mount

IMS 3.2, or the 4 gal if ya really need it.

Can you see the fuel level on the translucent white one

Yes on the natural one you can see the fuel

CFC gurads,, well ya,, get some CFC guards :cry:

I'm 5'6", and I run a set of ProTaper CR Hi...in a BRB triple clamp...

Yup, for the BSR36, the Dj kit is the starting point, add in a main and pilot jet for your Alt, and an adjustable fuel screw, plus the 3x3 air box mod and you'll be up and running.

Might I suggest a set of Rad guards from Unabiker Racing

I just bought an all stock, (with the exception of DOT knobs) KLX400SR, street legal model. I want to be sure I get the right body armour for it, so; Is the unabiker rad guards the best? What is the best skid plate, I have seen one model that extends up the left side case to help prevent the shifter from puncturing the left side case. Also, I need a set of GOOD barkbusters. I'd like a set that is basically just a big ass aluminum frame, (that don't slip/rotate when you smack something) that may also have some big plastic removeable shrouds for winter riding. What is a good model to get that fits well on the KLX/DRZ? I suppose I need the CFC case guards. I suppose I'll also replace the handlebars soon as I imagine they are just looking for an opportunity to bend. I will also need pretty soon a larger tank, I'm figuring the 3.9 Clarke will be the one. Can you see the fuel level on the translucent white one? I'll run the stock exhaust, (quiet is nice for some of the "recon" we do ;-)) pull the snorkel only at this time and dynojet it. Also is there any aftermarket air filters that may be of better quality than the stock filter. So the list is;

skid plate

bark busters

big gas tank

cfc case guards

handlebars

DJ kit

smaller c-shaft sprocket

air filter

There will be more stuff later but this gets the bike trail worthy I think. It would be great if there was one or two sources where I could get all this stuff.

Great choice on the KLX! Just send your Visa # and this picture to the TT store and say hook me up with some armor. :cry: Whatever you can't find at the TT store should be available from Rocky Mountain

Clarke.jpg

Here's a pic of the Cycra hand guards with triple clamp mounts. I highly suggest switching the sprockets to 14/47 combo...I found this helped me a lot off road in the slow tight stuff and climbing hills! :cry:

guards.jpg

Here's a pic of the Cycra hand guards with triple clamp mounts. I highly suggest switching the sprockets to 14/47 combo...I found this helped me a lot off road in the slow tight stuff and climbing hills! :cry:

guards.jpg

Wow!!! It looks sweeet!!

I have in mind to install this set (Cycra+triple mounts) but I have a set of BigDR bar risers and I want the highest handlebar... would it mean that the handguards wouldn't fit OK? If the handlebar is so high, perhaps the triple mount wouldn't be as high as necessary... Do you think that I could "suplemment" them with a piece (well, two) of aluminum, so that the cycras would be straight?

Would it be possible to post some other pics of this "combo"? :cry:

Thanks!! :cry: