Sign in to follow this  

Higher and straighter aluminum bars

Hi all!! Another post about bars :cry:... but this one is more "precise", as what I'm looking for is very difficult to find... :cry:

I would like to install the highest and straightest aluminum bars. I'm used to bars with very little sweep and it's not easy to find very straight ones. I have searched in the forum, and I've found several recommendations, I've noted their measures and some of them have too much sweep for my taste.

These are their measures (width, height and sweep):

* Stock Suzuki DRZ400S 812 73 55

* Renthal Jimmy Button High. 807 110 67

* Renthal Desert High. 840 118 78

* TAG CR Double HI. 805 115 62

* TAG YZ Double HI. 805 115 57

* FMF 909 CR High. 820 129 60

* FMF 909 Ben Lamay (gun metal) 740 118 42

Do you know other bars with less sweep than the ones I've found? The stock one is only 55 mm and I would like something similar, but as high as possible (I have installed the BIGDR Bar Risers but anyway I'd like the highest bars). The FMF 909 Ben Lamay (740,118,42) would be nice, but I'm afraid that the cycra aluminum hand protectors that I intend to buy couldn't fit in a shorter handlebar... Do you have this combo? Do you have problems because of the "only" 740 mm? What are the disadvantages of a shorter bar?

Perhaps this post could help others like me that prefer the bars as straight as possible and reaaaaaaally high... And before buying one of them I wanted to ask "the experts"... :cry:

Thanks in advance!! :cry:

Had the Desert Bends with Cycra bar mounts and there was WAAAAY too much sweep for tight woods riding. Snapped several bar mounts on relatively light crashes. Changed to the Jimmy Button bends with triple mount set up for the Cycras and that was the ticket for me. Same height and lots less sweep. That set up fit like a glove.

I heard pastrana freestyle bars are tall and dont have much sweep. I dont have the dimensions but I believe its on the pro taper sight.

Had the Desert Bends with Cycra bar mounts and there was WAAAAY too much sweep for tight woods riding. Snapped several bar mounts on relatively light crashes. Changed to the Jimmy Button bends with triple mount set up for the Cycras and that was the ticket for me. Same height and lots less sweep. That set up fit like a glove.

The Jimmy Buttons are nice, but I'd like something straighter... if possible, less than 55 (stock DRZ). I have one doubt:

Given that I have the BigDR bar risers + higher bars, Will the hand protectors look good or will they look not very nice? Maybe they will look not very "straight"...In this case, perhaps I could supplement the triple mount with a piece of aluminum? :cry:

:cry: :cry:

I heard pastrana freestyle bars are tall and dont have much sweep. I dont have the dimensions but I believe its on the pro taper sight.

Thanks!! I'm gonna have a look at their specs...

They are:

Width=30.5 (775mm), Height=4.75 (121mm), Pullback=2.17 (55mm)

Which is nice, but they are "oversized" (I think) and I'd like to keep the bar risers for 7/8" bars... Little by little I'm gathering information...

Thanks!! :cry: :cry:

Take a look at YZ85 bars.

Wow!!! I didn't see it before... 740, 118, 42... nice, nice... another option, along with the 909 Ben Lamay. The thing would be to find something as high and straight, but wider... would a handlebar like that (only 740) be comfortable for a slightly high guy (6.07 ft)? And will the cycra handguards fit ok?

Thanks!! :cry: :cry:

A problem with short bars, and cutting wide bars is getting all the controls that are on the S to fit. There is a mounting kit that is "supposed" to let you mount guards on mini bars, I never use it, I just bent the guards the way I wanted (not easy to do).

Some where I read, that the 7/8 909 bars cross brace mount (I need to mount GPS), were not glued to the bars like the Renthal and caused some kind of a problem (I don't remember what). So I just stayed away from 909 bars. Who knows!!!

I like bars that are no wider then 30", the YZ85 bars are 29.5. I enjoy tight woods riding and same to be clipping trees with the guards. Most guards make the bars about 2" wider.

I'm 5.11, and I need something taller then the (cut to 30") CR bars I had. The YZ85 bars are around 3/4" taller then CR bars. The less sweep moved me up on the tank a lot more.

I read some where to do 10 push up and measure the distance your hands were apart to find out your needed width. :cry: Who does push up when they ride...but did notice the distance my hands were apart when lifting weights.

The YZ85 bars are just about to narrow at the clamps, you need to check it, and file the top sharp outer edge of the clamp if needed. The bars are by no means perfect at all, but now I truly know what I'm looking for. The first ride after changing bars, I did notice that my arm pump was not as bad, and rode with my (inside the turn) foot on the pegs most of the time.

Just a thought...Do you really ride standing up as much as you think to need bars that tall?

Thank you very much for your (elaborate) response!! :cry:

I didn't know about the "problem" of the YZ85 bars, being too narrow at the clamps... it's good to know it!! I find interesting the trick about measuring how much apart are my hands to find out the width that I need... I think that it's logic and I'll try it. Everyone positions his hands in a different manner and perhaps I won't feel good with a narrow handlebar... :cry: I'll try it!!

I like to stand up when negotiating some obstacles and since that I changed the bars (steel ones from a trail bike and they bend very easily...) and installed bar risers I have noticed that I feel much more comfortable and confident, and that's why "I am on a mission" trying to find the highest and straightest bar... It's not easy to find exactly what I'm looking for... but little by little I'm fiding out all the different possibilities, mostly because of this forum!! :cry:

Thanks again for your help!!! I really appreciate it! :cry: :cry: