Sign in to follow this  

Personal track questions

I have grown tired of the lack of concern for decent track prep around my area. I am contemplating building my own small private sx track. Something very safe and fun. No big air for me, too old.

My question to anyone that has their own track is what is the smallest piece of ground that you would consider suitable for such a project?

I am afraid that if I do not build something to have fun with, my riding will soon be over. I have grown to very much dislike what is offered around here.

Any thoughts?.Thanks

I'd say the bigger the funner :thumbsup:But I'd imagine you will atleast need an acre of land for a small track

I was thinking the same thing a few months back,then I started adding up all the costs :cry: big bucks..

My buddy has a track on less than an acre in downtown Crystal Lake, IL. He is in the un-incorporated part of town so he can get away with it. His property backs up the the RR tracks so ho only has 2 sides to worry about and his neighbors don't hassle him. He is dam lucky.

Sd801004.jpg:cry:

Supercross is held in stadiums on a track the size of a football field so the land needed would be pretty small. Outdoor motocross would take several acres. There are track layouts with dimensions in the Supercross programs they sell at the stadiums so you can get some ideas from those.

My track is on about two acres. More would be nice but it's something to help keep in practice during the week w/o leaving home.

What sort of track building equipment do you have and how much dirt do you have access to? It winds up taking much more dirt than you would think from looking at it.

I live in farm country so land is always available. I don't have any equipment, but I will be able to purchase what I need. I am thinking that after the track is built, I could probably maintain it with a bobcat or something similar. I might even just purchase extra land and build a house on it as well. I just want something of my own to play with, and change up when I want it changed. I'm afraid that it is the only option left to keep me interested enough to keep riding.

Ive seen tracks in doors on hockey arenas, that is small, but Id like it..Remeber size dosnt matter :cry:

I built my own track about 6 years ago the track is .9 miles and sits on about 5 acres. I rent a dozer each spring and a Bobcat a couple of times during the season. I groom the track after each ride by pulling a big I-Beam around the track several times. My biggest issue is dust, when it is dry I shut the track down to keep dust from upsetting industrial neighbors. I insist that my track stay safe, they track is built so that there is no wrong place to land, you can ride out any landing. You will love the control of having your own track but it is quite a bit of work. Good luck and have fun.

The arenacross track here is layed out on what I'm guessing is 350'x175' (about 1.5 acres). It's small/short, but by the same token, small = more manageable. If space/land isn't an issue - you've got it made!!!

The work is no problem. I actually help out prepping local tracks. I would rather be at a track even if it working than just sitting at home. I think I would really like having my own place to ride. Now, I just have to get the nerve to borrow the money and purchase the land.:cry:

I rode on a pretty big field (ten acre) and it went good. If you start off with a sizable field you can incorporate lots of nice stuff, sounds like alot of fun. Size doesnt really matter, as long as you can physically ride around it. Take care when building jumps so that you have good landing areas, corresponding (sp?) with your jump faces and set up distance/speed. Have fun! :cry:

I have a small track that is on about two acres of field and 3 acres woods.

It makes for about a 1.5 - 2 minute moto on the field track. Later I incorporated a 1/2 mile loop through woods, with a creek crossing that adds anther minute or so.

Keep in mind that it takes a lot of time to groom and maintain a track by yourself.

Definitley use a skidsteer, ie.. bobcat, when making it. You will be a lot faster.

It took me just as long to design and lay out my track as it did to build it.

A couple of valuable friends helped me to do that. Unfortunatley lack of time and the needs to keep my track safe for my son to ride has kept me from getting it to the stage that they wanted.

Good luck and try to lay it out with stakes and ribbon first, you can then walk around it and even ride around and get a small feel for it before you spend two weeks on a skidsteer.

Here's the site for you! Dirt Wurx They are the official track builders of the supercross season. I used their track building how to last year building my own. Their methods are simple and easy and they offer suggestions for beginner, advanced track layouts. The best information they give for my benefit was the jump angles and how to get them right. The are the difference between an easy and safe track or a more advanced difficult track. I built a lot of tabletops for safety but still jump thirty or forty feet while not worrying about coming up short. Hope it is a help to you.

:cry:

I have a small practice track that sits on about 2 acres, and the one thing I've learned is that it's a lot of work if you want to do it right.

I disc & drag it regularly and pick rocks constantly. The other problem is dust. Make sure you have some way to water yours or it can become not very fun real fast; especially if you have a buddy, or four, over.

Rode a local race last night at a small sx track. There were weeds all over th eplace, the lighting was so poor you could not tell ruts and bumps from shadows. You couldn't see some of the jump landings because of the darkness. I watched bike after bike clip rear wheels on poorly designed lipped jumps. I left thinking that this is pitiful. I left thinking that instead of bitching about it, maybe I should do something about it.

Financially, I can build something better, but I would be lying if I said I was not a wee bit scared about doing something like this. A big part of me just wants to provide the kids and adults in my area a safe place to enjoy the sport. If they are hardcore and big air minded, they can go to other tracks that thrive on this stuff. I am just looking to see if I can build something that will take out some of the dnger element of an already dangerous sport.

Sorry for th erant, just needing to vent..:cry: Poorly run tracks just tick me off.

Come up to VA and build a track like you're describing and I'll be there every opportunity I can :cry::cry: I wish there were more people like you around. :cry:

You wouldn't believe the #hit I have to listen to in pit conversation every time I talk about building a fun /safe track. The funny part is that almost all of them are too darn afraid to admit that they would like to see one as well. Get them all together and it is the biggest collection of b.s. machoism you have ever seen. Bigger air, faster tracks,etc, but then they come up with every excuse in the world to stay home. It is really something to have to listen to.

I just think that I can enjoy motocross without being scared to death. I really do not want to have to make a switch to woods riding because of the mx track situation. If the time comes for me to ride woods all of the time, I want it to be because I want to, not because the dangerous tracks ran me out of the sport.