Sign in to follow this  

CRF150

My wife had the same problem on hers. Here's what I did. Remove both forks and drain out the fairly thin stock fork oil from the inside, I believe it's around 8 weight. Make sure you pump them a few times and let them sit and drain to make sure you get as much as you can out. Refill with thicker fork oil to a level measured from the top of the fork. Again, pump them slowly a few times to get the air out and even let them sit over night if you can and recheck the level. I can't remember what level I used off of the top of my head but check around in the crf150 forum I think that is where I got the ideas from. The figure 4.8 inches to 5 inches seems familliar. You can use whatever fork oil weight you feel is appropriate, in my case since my wife is a agressive rider, doing big jumps on the track, and fairly heavy for this bike I used 20 wt.

Secondly I looked around and it seemed like the aftermarket springs for this bike were all single rate springs at about 41 pounds. I believe the stock springs have a progressive rate at around 21/41 pounds. I used a piece of PVC pipe the outside size of the washer on top of the spring to preload the spring. Now the spring is allready compressed and in it's heavier rate. I cut the pipe in a miter box and used a section about 1 inch long on top of each spring. Cleanliness is important through out all of this so make sure there are no burrs on the pipe.

These changes made a big improvement in the bike, make sure you set the rear sag to around 3 inches. I'm a agressive 260 pound rider on a crf450 so the mushy suspension these bikes have stock was pretty bad to me. Now it's not like the bigger bikes but at least it dosen't dump us on our noses anymore. If you haven't done the full power kit (rejetting) and pulled the snorkel and baffle, do it. It made ours run a lot better. I have the part numbers if you need them. All in all it sounds pretty bad but it's fairly easy.

hmmm, my daughters TTR 125L has the same type of forks maybe... :cry:

I did the same thing to my sons ttr90 forks.

Made a big difference. I think I am going to get the 100 and do that.

Thanks.