Chain rubbing your rear mud flap?

Does anyone else have this problem or is my chain out of alignment? My white plastic shock protecting rear mud guard flap (nice name for it huh?) is chewed up on the left side if you're looking from the back of the bike.

Trent

If the chain is adjusted often, the scar is minimal.

I find that the stock chain over time will rub the most.

The faster the stock chain is replaced, the less rubbing you will see.

But you can always replace it. From experience, after a while you won't care. ?

Does anyone else have this problem or is my chain out of alignment? My white plastic shock protecting rear mud guard flap (nice name for it huh?) is chewed up on the left side if you're looking from the back of the bike.

Trent

If your getting rubbing like that, take a look at the inside of your frame by the top roller. I bet it's chewed up.

I assume you have the stock chain or a non o-ring cahin.

This doesn't happen with an o-ring or x-ring chain. (with the proper free play)

My experience with Honda's is to take the stock chain off and put on an o-ring before you ride it even once. This accomplishes a few things. One, your stock sprockets will last a long time, two, you won't chew up your mud flap and, three, you won't chew up the inside of your frame (or at least not as badly). Oh yeah, you won't have to adjust it everytime you ride either.

Bottom line, the stock chains are garbage!

Team Honda replaces the chain after every ride. This is done to eliminate the room for error (what error.) So? They could make them as tight as they want, they only have to last 12-15 laps.

Actually I don’t know if it’s every ride, but I have seen them put as many as three chains on one bike in the span of practice, qualifier and race.

I have a couple in my garage from a friend. Like brand new.

My guess would be that they would run them a bit tight to begin with since, with riders at that level, they're going to stretch alot and they don't want them to be slap loose by moto's end.

I would also guess that they're not using o-ring chains since they do rob a little power.

You're right though, they can afford to change them after each ride.

Also, I bet you won't see one of their mechanics cleaning an air-filter either. One-time use, man, wouldn't that be nice! ?

I bet you won't see one of their mechanics cleaning an air-filter either. One-time use, man, wouldn't that be nice! ?

Here in Europe at the Grandprix I know that the Twin Air sponsored teams don't get new filters, they simply delivers the used filters to Twin Air, then Twin Air Cleans and oils them and give them back to the teams ready to use.

It must be a borring job to wash and oil all those filters ?

I was getting to expensive with all the new filters.

The factories don't run them tight because they throw the chains away. The run them with very little slack because thats the PROPER way to run them on a 2002 or later Honda big bike. The frame to swing arm relationship is such that when your bike is on the stand with the suspension fully extended, your chain is at its tightest. As your suspension blows through the stroke the chain gets looser. Its different on other makes. I had a Suzuki, that ended up with a bent sprocket from having the chain to tight. If you adjust your chain on a stand, its almost impossible to do that to a CRF. RUN YOUR CHAIN TIGHTER! or let it eat your bike. ?

PS the stock chain will need adjustment about once every half hour to keep it tight enough. I never used an o ring chain and my mud flap and frame have never been scratched. I don't use the stock chain I use a DID gold one.