Sign in to follow this  

I am convinced my Acerbis Zoom II

Is causing me to crack ribs

I know they are not made top stop injury, they are made to stop rocks mud and low flyng birds, I read the fine print. What I am talking about is a design flaw that allows for compression injury.

I took again a very low speed get off at Gorman last Friday. I did get my bell rung, after looking at the helmet and such I can only figure my back tire hit me in the back of the noodle.

Anyway, my ribs once again are bruised, the third time wearing the Acerbis. Coincidence I dont think so, the first on I broke two ribs, That I can understand why it was a good impression of flying fat guy beforee I hit.

The second time though was a very low speed simple roll at WCTT 3, I cracked ribs on the other side.

This time they are bruised again, and the same spot is in the same place as a plastic protection goes front to back. Each break or bruis is above it or below it.

Now design flaw or ? I noticed most chest protectors only have elastic straps, the zoom has a plate size molded piece :cry:

Thoughts

Ya ya I am to fat heard that one from my wife :cry:

And stop crashing from my daughter :cry:

I don't think any of them offer much side protection. Quit falling on your side, take your punishment like a man, head on. :cry:

How did your back tire hit you in the back of your head? I saw pictures of that track and it is very wide and didn't look to be in bad shape. I have still been wondering if bike setup was an issue?

I have an HRP Hydro Jak which has a built in rib shield.

http://www.hrpsports.com/chest.ihtml?step=2&cat_id=1&prod_id=14

A separate rib shield kit is also available.

http://www.hrpsports.com/accessories.ihtml?step=2&cat_id=1&prod_id=73

Never had a problem with the plastic injuring my ribs from a get-off.

Nobody said drink milk? &%$#@!?

I've broken 5 ribs on 3 seperate occasions wearing my Roost2, just from falling weird, taking a handlebar in the side, etc. Its also saved me from some severe damage too. I think its just luck of the draw when you crash.

I don't really like the Roost2, I would get the new THOR protector but it doesn't have arm guards. And like Apu on the Simpsons, I try to take it in the shoulder. Acerbis was another one I was looking at. Maybe 661 would be a good way to go. Anybody use a 661 chest protector?

How did your back tire hit you in the back of your head? I saw pictures of that track and it is very wide and didn't look to be in bad shape. I have still been wondering if bike setup was an issue?

I have an HRP Hydro Jak which has a built in rib shield.

http://www.hrpsports.com/chest.ihtml?step=2&cat_id=1&prod_id=14

A separate rib shield kit is also available.

http://www.hrpsports.com/accessories.ihtml?step=2&cat_id=1&prod_id=73

Never had a problem with the plastic injuring my ribs from a get-off.

I suspect the rear tire slammed me.

The track was greeat BigDesto advised to look out for soup after each table top in the middle and in corners. When watered it gets deep real quick. I was told the track is prepped with sand and sawdust

anyhoot, I suspect My front stuck like glue at the base of a table. I was rolling the tables/jumps and staying to the outside just eyeballing the track and getting a feel for the lines. Thats all I remember.. Bikee set up is great,

Thanks for the links

John, I'm getting to the point also where I'm nearly ready to turn in my Acerbis lady fusion protector... seems like half the damage when I fall is caused by that thing digging into my side, into my hips, etc... even if I fall on my SHOULDER that thing makes my waist/hips bruised & battered... and Im betting that my c-bone break was caused by THAT slamming into my chest, not the ground (it wasn't my helmet, like it often is. my head went the OTHER direction, stretching my neck)

But the question is, would anything have been injured WORSE if I didn't wear it? :cry:

I'm at the point now where at a track, or anywhere there aren't a lot of rocks to cause painful roost, I'm going without it... if rocks, I put it on. And when I get the $$ I'm getting one of the soft under-protectors, although I'll likely wear it on the outside just because I don't like the idea of anything that rough being next to my skin (but thats just me! :cry:)

:cry:

OK, that makes more sense to me. Nomands MX park gets nasty in spots after a heavy rain. Just bad luck with the bike spinning round on ya.

Do you where a neck collar? If so, do you think it helped?

OK, that makes more sense to me. Nomands MX park gets nasty in spots after a heavy rain. Just bad luck with the bike spinning round on ya.

Do you where a neck collar? If so, do you think it helped?

Yes had my EVS brace on.

I am convinced that did help. I could not stand for a minute or so, I was spinning like I just got off a turbo chargeed merry go round

I am glad I was waring it :cry: My neeck hurt for about a day

Fly

Thats right you were complaining of that acerbis :cry:

Class Action :cry: Just kidding

look at the body armor by...? rockgarden, sharpie 1 was wearing it when i rode with him and he said it was great, I check it out after the ride and it was pretty cool. He said it did not bother him at all when he rode! It is arm,chest,shoulder,back and kidney all in one! pretty cool. I thinking of getting one my self :cry: