Sign in to follow this  

Less height more distance

Hey guys, I am sure this has been discussed but I can't figure out the right words to search for it. I have a big table top at my local track. The problem I am having with it is that it seems to launch me straight up. Then I land on the other side and nearly (or may be) bottoming out my suspension. There do not seem to be any different lines on the way up. The odd thing (to me) here though is that I watch other guys take it and they get the same distance but no where near the height I seem to get. Is there a technique I should use to "flatten out" this jump ? Thanks.

Maybe you're preloading the suspension as the bike goes up the jump face. Practice absorbing the bikes "lift" as it goes up the jump face. Stand up as you approach the jump, and let the bike compress your knees as it goes up the face, so the seat is moving towards your butt as you leave the takeoff point.

If that doesn't work, learn to scrub whip, like Bubba and Chad. :cry:

Learn to scub dude. Start kearning it on a BMX or Mountain bike and bring it over to the MX track. I used to have the same problem but now scrubbing helps alot. Also, ask some of the guys at the track that are clearing it alright.

i would say retune your suspension. I think you need more rebound damp.. I think whats hapening is your bike is preloading before the jump as it should but your rebound is probably too light and is launching you. you can also adjust this with your body. loading your suspension before the face of the jump so it unloads before you jump. timing has to be perfect as it gets tricky. i would play around with your clickers for a bit first.

That looks like certain death for me :cry: . Could this issue I am having also be a function of my suspension set up ? I suspect it is too soft and my weight is compressing it so maybe a stiffer setup would not launch me like I think mine might be doing. Any thoughts ?

I will have to explore a bit to find the "clickers" since my bike has pro action and I have no manual for that. I was trying that technique of absorbing more of the preload with my legs and when I got it right it worked really well. Pretty tricky though, I think I'll play a bit with the suspension. I wonder though, are new springs inevitable ? I weigh about 220 so I am not sure adjustments will totally cure the issue. Any input would be appreciated.

i think you should be able to play with it a bit more. Your stock stuff is probobly more geared towards a lighter rider but i rode a 99yz125 for awhile with the stock stuff and it did okay. Just play with your settings a bit. new springs would help but it would only make things stiffer. stock stuff should do just fine for what you are getting into. and by clickers i just mean the adjustments on them. just find which is your rebound on both and play with that. it not only changes how your bike jumps but also how it turns.

Yeah, that's pretty good advice on the suspension. More rebound damping.

I have Pro Action on my Yz 125. the clickers are on the top and bottom of your front forks. The top is the rebound and the bottom is the compression.

To make it rebound faster, turn the top clicker to the right.

To make is rebound slower, turn the top clicker to the left.

To stiffen the shocks up, turn the bottom clicker to the righg.

To soften the shocks up, turn the bottome clicker to the left.

hope this helps

How many jumping techniques

All together there are five techniques used for jumping.

1. Getting more height and distance. This technique causes you to get more height and distance in order to clear obstacles.

2. Slowing down and getting back on the ground fast. This technique keeps the airtime low and short.

3. Jumping lower but still getting the distance. This technique is a big time saver on jumps that are easy to clear.

4. Seat bouncing. Seat bouncing is used when you have a very short run at a jump and you still need a lot of height and distance.

5. Throwing the bike sideways off the jump. This technique keeps the bike low, gets you back on the ground fast and can set you up better for a corner. I also looks pretty cool but it’s defiantly an advance technique.

What you are looking for is #3 (Jumping lower but still getting the distance). This technique requires you to stand tall on the compression part of the jump so you can use your body travel to obsorb the rebound part of the jump. On the rebound part of the jump just flex in your arms and legs and let the bike come up under you. It's pretty easy and it works great.

For an in depth look into all the jumping techniques check out my Techniques Video # 3 (The Art of Jumping and Whoops) Video/DVD and/or my Motocross Practice Manual.

Order online at mxraceschool.com or call 800-500-3938

:cry: :cry: :cry:

how much taller is the landing and how fast are you going at the time? if your finishing a down hill section and you just landed your probobly g'ing out your suspension pretty hard. Try letting off for a second then seat bouncing and accel hard.

at a local track there is about a 75ft double shaped llike this / \ the face is..

there is a line people make going up the lower edge of the face and you have to hit it about 3rd pinned on my 450 ..you gain about 1-2 seconds..ive passed so many people do it ..its not illegal either because it IS the jump..look for lines like that just make sure you have the skills to hit them..im one of the only people who isnt an A rider who does it..

Yeah, your probably just preloading. Try to lean slightly to a side and it can make a big difference and be on the front of the gas tank.