Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum Throttle Tubes?

Hi everyone,

Okay what's the beef with these? Why aluminum over Plastic? What are the benies?

Thanks,

Fryboy

I have an Oberg throttle tube.It rides on a bearing so it is smoother. My hanguard bolts can pass through it so my throttle is still sealed from dirt and sand. When i was using the plastic tub dirt would get into the end and make it stick :cry:

Hi everyone,

Okay what's the beef with these? Why aluminum over Plastic? What are the benies?

Thanks,

Fryboy

I have an Oberg throttle tube.It rides on a bearing so it is smoother. My hanguard bolts can pass through it so my throttle is still sealed from dirt and sand. When i was using the plastic tub dirt would get into the end and make it stick :cry:

I always wondered what the advantages were. Other than being a bit stronger then plastic I never knew. I had no idea they make them with Bearings :cry:

Fryboy

I've got the works one, real simple, no bearings, it moves just like a plastic one! But doesn't break, I busted two plastic ones before I said ENOUGH and got the aluminum. Dirt does get in there, though, and I clean it when I change the grips, ( i think I used a little WD for lube last time), and I'm ready to go! :cry:

Dirt does get in there, though, ( i think I used a little WD for lube last time),

WD40 is a good lube. :cry:

But it's also a dirt magnet. :cry:

You want to use another lube for your throttle.

:cry:

The aluminum ones will not break like the plastic ones can.

Exactly, sucks to have a day cut sort due to a busted throttle tube.

Dirt does get in there, though, ( i think I used a little WD for lube last time),

what do you think would be good? :cry: I'm open to suggestions! :cry:

Graphite powder, the only true dry lubricant. Can be hard to find sometimes but you will find heaps of uses for it. Whack some in your channel barriers on the car if your power windows are slowing down etc.

By your recommendation (from searching here at TT) I ordered one of their twister throttles and the anti vibration inserts for my new bike... I haven't gotten them installed yet but they look very well made :cry:

On top of that I had them TWO DAYS after I ordered them from Cernic's Suzuki (Obergs retailer) :cry:

Graphite powder, the only true dry lubricant. Can be hard to find sometimes but you will find heaps of uses for it. Whack some in your channel barriers on the car if your power windows are slowing down etc.

Yeah. A small ammount of grease works as well. Sure it attracts dirt and dust, but not as bad as oil.

Dri Slide web page

I use it for throttle cable, tube and many other places on my WR, and all kinds of other stuff as well.... :cry:

The aluminum ones will not break like the plastic ones can.

Exactly, sucks to have a day cut sort due to a busted throttle tube.

If you crash hard enough with them though they will bend and it will not move.

Wow...Dri Slide even comes in a handy carry-along size of 14 gallon kegs! Wonder if i could just dip my whole bike in that?

sounds perfect for all those applications where i now get dust buildup on the exposed oil...