Sign in to follow this  

I have a problem!

I just got my cousin's 2002 XR250 today and I went riding, and I noticed a wierd sound that I didn't hear on my 2000 XR250. The top end just got replaced and has about 20 min. on it. It is a slight whining sound that is coming from the head. do the valves need adjusting?? do I need to change the oil??? what is the noise that I'm hearing? I really want to ride it, but it sounds bad. what should I do???

i don't know how you did your engine breakin but this is by far the most important step in assuring a long lasting engine.

The rings have to seat ,

take a minute to read this procedure . Motor break in

stu

i don't know how you did your engine breakin but this is by far the most important step in assuring a long lasting engine.

The rings have to seat ,

take a minute to read this procedure . Motor break in

stu

Very interesting. I most cerainly agree with change the oil soon, and often during break in. The run it hard theory I will have to think about, that's the way you break in a drag race engine, but they are loose and rebuilt often.

Well when you have the valves adjusted sometimes they make a whirling sound. Mine made that sound when I bored it out and quit after awhile. This is if we're talking about the same sound. We need something on TT where you can download sounds so we could better justify what it is.

I think we are talking about the same sound. It is very slight, and I can barely notice it. Should I really be worried about it?? I'm going to change the oil before I ride tomorrow, and I will change the oil Monday also. should I just keep riding???

I think its alright to ride. Maybe double check to see if the valves are adjusted right. Only takes bout 20 mins. After that break it in like they said.

I already rode it for like an hour today. I read something like that before, and I knew to do that. I rode the piss out of it. would it be pointless to check the valves now?? I have no idea how to check valves, and I don't even have a feeler guage.

You can get a feeler guage at your local car parts store I think. For adjusting them, its pretty easy. Get a service manual. Step by step. This is diff. a thing you need to learn.