Sign in to follow this  

WTF?!?

My cam chain came off the bottom sprocket I think!?! How the hell did that happen? :cry: Is it easy to fix? I was reshimming and turning the cam... and then next thing I know the cam isn't moving. The chain wasn't either. The engine was but what the hell!?! :cry:

How do you think I should fix this? Please tell me I dont have to take the engine apart. :cry:

ok.... the cam chain moves when the sprocket is not bolted on... but if i bolt it on all it does is make the releasing air kind of noise and that gurgling noise.

whats wrong with it? it almost looks like the chain is off the bottom sprocket but its too dark and hard to see to tell. any help is greatly appreciated. :cry: :cry:

Yes and I've found that the chain is indeed off. My dad is being an a-hole and yelling at me, he wants to bring it to a mechanic and have them do it. I don't think so. I really need to fix this before he freaks any more. :cry:

I didn't want to "grave dig" so just add this post to the end of this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB29&Number=800937&Forum=UBB29&Words=cam%20chain&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=100&Old=allposts&Main=794796&Search=true#Post800937

I'm trying to make sense of the responses but I'm only a dumb 15 year old so... What is this bracket they're talking about? My chain just fell off the bottom sprocket so will I really have to pull the flywheel? I dont think anything is bound... Should I pull off the crank case cover thingy and fix it that way?

If you jammed it up I would be worried about taking the flywheel off.

I don't see how it came off because there is supposed to be a bracket down there to prevent it from happening.

I would pull the ignition cover off and take a look in there.

Well it came off easy enough, with some paitence you should be able to fish it back on, remove the spark plug, so it turns over easier... make sure there's no debree in the plug chamber.

use two long pieces of wire, cut a coat hanger and try to slid the chain under the sprocket

Mine fell off too, the chain dropped down and when I pulled it back up, it had fallen off, take off the ignition cover and you should be able to get at it enough to get the chain back on the sprocket, just dont forget to drain your oil first, or you'll have a big mess.

I was of the understanding I'd need a new gasket if I did this. It's only $12.00 shipped from service honda so no biggie but did you have to buy a new one? I tried the coat hanger trick but it didn't seem like there was enough room. I'll try some more before taking the left crank case cover off.

Thanks for the help :cry:

TJ- I don't think its jammed up... I hope not. :cry:

I didnt replace the gasket, if your careful, very careful it wont be a problem, but if you tear it, then you know the story.

Yeah... I already stripped the gasket off so its too late but I ordered a new plug, a new gasket, and 2 new cam sprocket bolts. I think I'm going riding tommorow... Bad news, I'm going to have to smoke. :cry: The old 125. :cry:

I have a couple of questions...

Can I polish the ignition cover?

Will measuring the clearances without the cam chain being on and tight be the same as having the cam chain off and not tight?

I think the cam came off because the screw driver I had in the tensioner and it fell out, causing the chain to fall off. I had the bike on the triangle stand (leaning) and it fell off to the further down side. I think this was the problem. What are the odds of this happening again on a work stand?

Thanks again for everyones help :cry: :cry:

I lost my cam chain many times. It's not supposed to fall off due to the guides, but mine always does. I even managed to kink the chain really good when I was spinning the rear wheel. Took me 3 hours to un-kink it! You don't have to remove the cover to get it back on the sprocket. Just lower the chain, pull the top end towards you and try pulling up and down a few times. It should hook up after a few tries.