Sign in to follow this  

tightning spokes

when a spoke comes loose do i just tighten that spoke or do i go around the whole wheel and tighten that spoke because i already have had one bent wheel because i didn't pay enough attention to the spokes now i check them before and after each and every ride so how do i balance it out thanks for the help

If you tighten spokes like you use punctuation, you haven't a prayer. Just buy new rims and have the shop fix it. :cry:

Gud speeling tho :cry:

Here is some of a lot of information on spokes.

All right, all right

Grab a sharpened pencil. Tape it (or hold it, whatever) to your swingarm. Spin the wheel around (if its the rear wheel, take the chain off so it spins freely). Try and move the pencil lead closer and closer until its barely hitting in one spot. That is your "high spot".

Now, you want to try make it so the pencil touches the whole way around, or stays the same length away.

Tighten spokes about 1/4 turn at a time. Tightening spokes closest to you will move the section of the rim toward you, and tightening the opposite side will move it away. Tighten a few on the opposite side of your high spot, and you'll see what I mean.

Then, take it from there. Get it all even, and you're good to go. A small amount of runout is really no big deal on a dirtbike, because of the relatively low speeds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To find more: use the search feature and go back a month or two. There is a ton of repetition on it.

Here is some of a lot of information on spokes.

All right, all right

Grab a sharpened pencil. Tape it (or hold it, whatever) to your swingarm. Spin the wheel around (if its the rear wheel, take the chain off so it spins freely). Try and move the pencil lead closer and closer until its barely hitting in one spot. That is your "high spot".

Now, you want to try make it so the pencil touches the whole way around, or stays the same length away.

Tighten spokes about 1/4 turn at a time. Tightening spokes closest to you will move the section of the rim toward you, and tightening the opposite side will move it away. Tighten a few on the opposite side of your high spot, and you'll see what I mean.

Then, take it from there. Get it all even, and you're good to go. A small amount of runout is really no big deal on a dirtbike, because of the relatively low speeds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To find more: use the search feature and go back a month or two. There is a ton of repetition on it.

Yeah, that is some good info rannoch told us.

To keep your rim true after you have trued it, tighten your spokes 1/4 turn when you need to tighten them. Not just one here or one there, all of them. :cry:

the best way is to get a dial indicator and measure the rim runout after you tighten the spoke. Then you know those rims are really true and you don't have to worry about em.