Sign in to follow this  

Forestry patrolling on dualsports in ANF?

Has anyone seen this? It makes sense that they would, but I have yet to witness it. All I ever see are trucks and SUVs. The "fire danger" closedown cut off about 75% of riding area that I dont need to trailer a bike to. The penalty for ignoring the closure is up to $5000 and/or imprisonment. I'm just wondering what the risk of getting caught is and the possibility of getting away. Sawmill mtn area, BTW, and mostly charcoal.

They claim on the ANF site that "despite the lack of vegetation in burned areas, the fire danger remains high".

Has anyone seen this? It makes sense that they would, but I have yet to witness it. All I ever see are trucks and SUVs. The "fire danger" closedown cut off about 75% of riding area that I dont need to trailer a bike to. The penalty for ignoring the closure is up to $5000 and/or imprisonment. I'm just wondering what the risk of getting caught is and the possibility of getting away. Sawmill mtn area, BTW, and mostly charcoal.

They claim on the ANF site that "despite the lack of vegetation in burned areas, the fire danger remains high".

Yes, in certain areas the USFS does partol on dualsported bikes. I've seen them at both Rowher Flat and in San Gabriel OHV area. But I don't think the manpower dedicated to this type of patrolling is very large. I ride these areas a lot and have only seen the rangers on bikes 2-3 times.

That said, don't make any more enemies for the OHV crowd by violating the forest closure. You're lucky to have ANY riding area that you can access right from the garage, so just make due with riding there until the forest reopens.

I see where you're coming from, but the USFS has been on my $h!t list since the Adventure Pass "demo program" started years ago(pay parking on land taxes have already paid for)and now that they close areas that couldnt burn anyway(Pines Fire burned it already). The area up here isnt real high traffic, so DS equipped rangers are unlikely, but I'll probably play it safe anyway. The last thing I want is to have to outrun one of them on a bike not far removed from thier own. If I get caught its probably a felony anyway. Besides, its my luck I'd fly right past one of them in the middle of nowhere. Crap, now I have to go out to Kern county and I have no riding buddies.

I see where you're coming from, but the USFS has been on my $h!t list since the Adventure Pass "demo program" started years ago(pay parking on land taxes have already paid for)and now that they close areas that couldnt burn anyway(Pines Fire burned it already). The area up here isnt real high traffic, so DS equipped rangers are unlikely, but I'll probably play it safe anyway. The last thing I want is to have to outrun one of them on a bike not far removed from thier own. If I get caught its probably a felony anyway. Besides, its my luck I'd fly right past one of them in the middle of nowhere. Crap, now I have to go out to Kern county and I have no riding buddies.

I share your frustration on a few of these issues. But remember that the USFS gets jammed from both ends. They are forced to enforce laws handed down from above, and then they get their funding cut back because of budget pressures. Not a good deal. Most likely, you won't get caught, but the risks are very high. If you have alternatives (you seem to have more than most riders), just ride there until we get some rain. I'm going to hit the desert or Los Padres till ANF reopens, hopefully soon.