Sign in to follow this  

CRF100 suspension upgades?

My son needs a bigger bike but I do not want to get a 2 stroke if I can help it. He has a ttr90 now and I want him to get started using a clutch. He is 11 and way past the age that I was using a clutch, (I was 7 and it was an mr50). :cry:

He really wants the Honda but he also likes to jump and is pretty fearless when it comes to doing technical things and he will try anything once. I see hem hitting the small doubles on the kid track and the bike mushs out under him. I know the 100 will be the same but the size is perfect.

Or should I just get the kx65 or the KTM 65 sx?

I'm in the same situation. My son is 12, and 5' 3", 105 lbs. We bought him a CRF100F in February of this year and he could barely touch the ground on it. Now he is off the seat flat-footed. I also didn't prefer a 2-stroke, but if you want a real suspension for your little guy (and it sounds like you really need one), there is no other choice. Even the CRF150 and CRF230 have no compression/rebound damping adjustment.

I just bought a used '03 CR85R that still has the nearly clean original filter (with original Honda oil) and original tires for $2,100 out the door. It even has no scratches on the pipe!! As soon as he "earns" it (the right grades on the report card) he gets it. I almost held out for a big-wheel, but I figure while he's getting used to this much power, a slightly lower seat height may be good. (BTW, this thing is a HOOT. It easily pulls the front tire in 1st through 3rd gears for me!!) It's just slightly high for him right now, which means I'll be looking for an Expert by the end of next year.

As for 2-stroke, it's not really all that bad. A new top end maybe 1 or 2 times per year (~$120) and we're good to go.

There is some small things you can do on these bikes to help. The 100's forks should be similar to the 150's, these mods won't equal the suspension of the 85's but they will help for now. See the reply I just posted on the subject "CRF150" in this forum Here

ktm65sx

mixing gas and changing tranny oil everyonce in awhile isnt that bad :cry: