Sign in to follow this  

Foresthill Logging report... trail 1 & 2 impacted

Rode foresthill today.... 1/2 mile out of sugarpine on trail 1 going right from sugarpine, after the wide stream, you hit a closed due to logging sign, there is a detour sign to the left but up that double wide trail you'll run into a working Cat......dead end. That was my early loop. We then rode the back side of 1, going left from sugarpine down thru parker flat staging area and we got all the way to 1-7 connect and rode 7 up the backs side on up to 5. saw no signs on 5, stopped short of the dog leg and motored up elliot then down to 5 again the lower part anyway and made our way down to loop 2 - just to the right of where trail 5 drops into 2 if you turn right on 2 and head towards trail 1 you will find a 10 ft wall of logs....... so loop 2 is not a loop at this time....we turned the other way and motored on 2 around to 5-3 and over to trails 3 - no logging there.

earlier I talked to a logger and he confirmed they will be logging the area for the next 3 THREE years!! :cry:.....he said they will replace the trails once they are done......damn 3 years of this?? will there be any trees left in Foresthill? ... and these guys work 7 days a week.

It's true. Trail 2 is known for its tight woods, but that last part of trail 2 between the trail 5 intersection and the trail 1 connection is now literally a trail through stump land. :cry:

It's true. Trail 2 is known for its tight woods, but that last part of trail 2 between the trail 5 intersection and the trail 1 connection is now literally a trail through stump land. :cry:

I called the Foresthill Ranger office today to see if they could tell me anything about which trails will be impacted in the future and I also passed along bigbob's description of what they'd done to Trail 2. She said they are NOT supposed to be clear-cutting and if that is indeed the case they (the Rangers) want to know about it. The gal I talked to took my name and number and said she'd look into all of this and get back to me with more info.

I called the Foresthill Ranger office today to see if they could tell me anything about which trails will be impacted in the future and I also passed along bigbob's description of what they'd done to Trail 2. She said they are NOT supposed to be clear-cutting and if that is indeed the case they (the Rangers) want to know about it. The gal I talked to took my name and number and said she'd look into all of this and get back to me with more info.

I got my call today as promised from Sarah at the Foresthill office. It was obvious she took my concerns seriously and had put a considerable amount of time into gathering as much info as possible :cry:

:cry: the bad news:

The loggers will indeed be there until around 2006.

They will be clear-cutting relatively small sections in the area near Trail 2. The long-range plan is to replant those sections with the goal of creating a more diverse mixture of trees (they're pretty much all the same type in that area right now, which is a bad thing I guess).

:cry: the good news:

If I understood correctly, the loggers are required to leave a minimum 25 foot 'buffer' on either side of the ohv trails, ie. you should never see trees cut within 25 feet of a trail.

Although not required to do so, the loggers have agreed not to work on Nov 7 so that CERA will be able to hold the Training Wheels Family Enduro as scheduled, and will do what they can to accomodate preparation for the event.

No promises, but the rangers will do their best to provide us with info on which trails will be impacted at any particular time. The best way to find out any info that is available is to call the office after hours, they will try to include these updates in the section that contains campground info/status.

I'm hoping to ride this weekend and get a look at the section Bob was talking about.

thank you....kindly be advised ALL I do tend to exaggerate...so you will see some stumps and some small cleared areas, maybe not "stump land" as I put it. You will see loop 2 truncated with logging as it approaches......loop 1 on the back side........I did not mean to insuate anything was being done wrong by the loggers. I figure thay do exactly as the enviros and USFS guidelines allow......

I was surprized they are logging a OHV trail zone, but when you fly over the sierras you'll see that the trees next to all the roads are left standing while off road there is a criss-cross checker board pattern of empty stump lands up and down the state.........the price of a growing population that uses wood products I guess.

thank you....kindly be advised ALL I do tend to exaggerate...so you will see some stumps and some small cleared areas, maybe not "stump land" as I put it.

Now you tell me! :cry: Anyway, I think it's a good thing that they (USFS and the loggers) know how much we care about those trails and the surrounding area, and now that we know the ground rules for the logging, we can keep an eye on things for the next couple years :cry:

Rode there tuesday,,,,ran into some usfs guys sitting on trail 4.

I asked em what was up. They said they're marking trees for selective cutting. Asked em how long the area would be affected. They said at least a year as that area's wood hasn't even been sold yet.

Dang :cry: