Rode a 2004 Yamaha WR-450F today

well I have the S model so the power difference is noticable. The wr is 30 lbs lighter stock vs stock. The motor has this QUALITY sound. I had Yamaha outboard motors and they are the BEST. The motor reminded me of that. the WR 450 Motor vibrates alot more in its perch then the DRZ....but the vibration is not transferred to the bars or the feel of the bike, not like that honda 650R I rode. Its motor had a buzz and the Handle bars were alive with the shakes..... although the 650R is a fine bike, for my taste I found my DR-Z400S to be a better bike - not so with the WR-450. It is clearly a better bike then my S model how much better? well as you would expect it's a 450 with a more competition motor and carb, etc..and it has a great feel, narrow waistline and its a great bike. MY DRZ is great too.... but I Did like that WR right very much right off the bat.

I rode my buddy's YZ450F and thought it was a sweet ride. Very light and that motor....holy crap ? The buzz was annoying though, as was the high strung engine (very sensitive throttle), not intended for road use ? The WR is probably tuned down abit and maybe a heavier flywheel but aside from the extra gear it's the same engine design. I've heard nothing but good things about this bike.

as was the high strung engine (very sensitive throttle)

Malachi...

I am guessing you haven't upgraded to the FCR yet on your DRZ? Nice sensitive throttle. Thats a lot of where its coming from on the Yamahamas. Its great. ? :cry:

Very quick twist to smile times. ?

• 2 weeks later...

as was the high strung engine (very sensitive throttle)

Malachi...

I am guessing you haven't upgraded to the FCR yet on your DRZ? Nice sensitive throttle. Thats a lot of where its coming from on the Yamahamas. Its great. ? :cry:

Very quick twist to smile times. ?

As a former YZ426 guy, I like that snap response. What's the "FCR"?

FCR is the better carb, not a CV carb (which does much better at varied altitudes...)

I've switched to the WR250f, which I'm really liking as far as the weight and nimbleness.

On the otherhand I am definitely missing a chunk of TORQUE! But it isn't that bad...I think!

Rode my friends CRF450 and have to agree, the power is nice, but I liked my DRZ much better as far as being nice and cushy. Cushy suspension, and WHAT IS UP WITH THAT VIBRATION! Holy crap! I didn't need a foot massage!

Got back on my WR and was like - WOW, I sure am more comfy on this bike...(and I haven't had it that long...)

Everythings about tradeoffs, DRZ was much more planted - sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my new bike, helps when it doesn't weigh TWICE as much, even 35lbs makes a huge difference...