CR85 shock on my klx125

The problem here is you have a cr85 shock and a DRZ. Since the valving characteristics are way different, so what they come up with will only be a best guess. You need to put on an test it. Too soft? Go bigger. stock is a 4.2, I use a 6.4 on my bike. I use Lowes Springs, since they have adult springs for mini bikes. My best guess would be a 6.0 or 6.2. But it will rebound pretty quick, so you need to get valved stiffer and slower. I'm ne suspension guru and don't claim to be, but I've been using cr85 shocks on big heavy conversions for a long time. This is just my experience. The other problem you might run into is: how you linkage will affect it. Since I don't ride a DRZ I won't even coment on that. I hope this helps. ?

Yea, I thunked all about that, I built a custom suspension for my truck (prerunner style). So, I am not totally a newbie. Not totally, anyway. I was thinking a racetec valve kit may be in the cards.

Do have a question about the shock I just got from fastkevin, though.

The adjustment screw on the top of the shock, is it for compression or rebound? Which is the bottom one?

Compression is usually adjusted at the reservoir (the top screw you're talking about), and rebound is at the bottom.

Also, before you swap springs and revalve it, try setting the sag and riding it. You might be surprised at how well it works with just adjusting the clickers. At the very least, you'll be able to discern what it's doing that you don't like, and address it. The KX shock that I have is not as nice as the CR unit you have, and I can pin the fuggin thing through some square-edged whoops, and it tracks nicely. Remember I'm also 200 pounds

It did bolt up, but due to the fact that the lower mounting fork on the shock was longer, it was a pain to mount. I did not have to grind the engine case or anything like that.

When the bike is on the stand with the rear in full droop, the shock spring rubs the frame, but that is no big deal. I think that I am going to move the lower bolt holes on the shock up around 1 inch to give the shock more travel.

I have not had a chance to ride it yet, Cause I had to order a new front axle. I bought 2003 front forks off a KX100, and it required a little modification to work. It would not have been a problem if I had a 125L, but I just have the 125.

The 125 has a smaller diameter front axle than the 125L. If you do get the KX100 forks, and have a 125L, use the 100 axle, because it is longer.

If you have the 125, you have to make bushings for the forks to make the hole smaller for the smaller axle. Then, I called a Steel Supply center and ordered a longer bolt for the axle. Be sure and use a 10.2 grade bolt or higher. The length is 220-230mm for whatever axle you use.

PM me if you want pictures or more info.