Sign in to follow this  

High idle, hanging idle... idle screw makes no difference...

Power's there, always has been there... But after adding in the hotcams in & out I never really got the jetting perfect.

The idle hangs... I can start it with two blips of the throttle, or with the choke on... or both... If I give it no gas immediately, it will idle normal. But if I rev it a tad, the idle will hang.

It's getting really annoying, as I've been riding street quite a bit lately, and I would have to slip the clutch coming to a stop to drop the revs.. If I let it idle long it will die. Riding tight trails is even harder! :cry:

Jetting (as I recall?)

200 maj

160 mj

48pj

4th clip JD (whichever color for sea level)

The PAS is set to whatever you (burned :cry:) recommended for hotcams in & out, stock compression, 3x3. In fact, the entire jetting is what you recommended... But the fuel screw's being a jackass to mess with... I'm suspecting that's the problem...

I screwed the FS in (clockwise) a full 1.5 turns from where it was and it made no difference. :cry:

I really don't feel like pulling the carb off. :cry:

I found on the one ride I had with both hot cams that I needed to go way leaner on the needle. I didn't have any other jets with me or else I would have dropped down a size there as well.

There's no bog at all.. Just the idle being gay. I opened the fuel screw 2 turns from where it last was (so like .5 turns out from where it was originally) and it got much worse.

Soooo... Crank it down? Or close the pas a bit, or what?

I'm still perplexed as to what circuit the fuel screw is in.

if you opened the fuel screw and it got worse then its rich.

the fuel screw controls the pilot circuit along with the pilot jet and the pas.

turn the fuel screw in to 1 turn and retest.if its better but still not right open the pas a touch and retest fuel screw settings.

Well I cranked the FS closed, and backed it out about a half turn from out... It still hangs, but not quite as much. It still won't idle without dying.

I took off the filter cover and it got worse... So how much do you think I should crank the PAS down? :cry:

taking the filter cover off made it leaner and worse?before you said opening (richening) the fuel screw made it worse.

im confused......... :cry:

Yes, earlier I opened (screwed counterclockwise) the fuel screw yesterday, and it made it much worse. Today, I cranked the fuel screw down 'till it bottomed, and backed it a little more than half a turn out, and it was a TAD better (it would return to idle if I just barely blipped it, but if I revved 1/4+ it would hang).

I decided to take off the cover and see how it acted for sh*ts and giggles, and it made it worse (it would hang immediately). :cry:

The paps says it smells rich.. I was figuring taking the cover off would help lean it out and temporarily make it better, but it did not.

ps - I examined the throttle cable and it's not frayed.

hmmmm,well lets go with thats its rich.

you need to open the pas a 1/4 turn and set the fuel screw at 1 turn.see what that gets.

the idle hangs becuase its so rich the idle speed screw has to be run to far in.when you get the mix right you will find it idles fast.at that point you should be able to crank the idle down normally.

my idle ahngs on my 07 kx250f? i went fro ma 40 pilot to a 42, then to a 45 and still the same. and i messed with the fuel screw, stil nothen. my engine mods are stage 1 hot cams and thats it.