Sign in to follow this  

Sooo hard to start

Hi Guys,

New to site, am 44 yrs old, new to riding, (my son got me involved) question is Can I make my 02' YZF250 any easier to start? I have had a new cam put in that was supposed to make it easier, getting rid of the decompression lever but it is still a total pain. I spend half of the day huffing and puffing because a have kicked fifty or so times. I need the 4 stroke because I do alot of putting around with my boy. I will buy a newer bike if that is the consensus. Is there a certain model that does not have this problem? Thanks for all input.

Is it hard to start when hot or cold or both? First thing I would generally suspect is, jetting. I would buy the JD jet kit here on TT, read the instructions while installing it and enjoy excellent carburetion. :cry:

How does it run (once it does actually get started up :cry:) if it's not running well then jetting is definetely a good place to look. Are the valves in spec? If they're running tight then that bike won't start for a loooooooong time. Have you tried "bump" or "pop" starting it? Finally, how do you try to start the bike? I would try this (it works very well for myself and all the guys who I know that have four strokes) turn on the fuel, pull out the choke. Twist the throttle twice as if you were revving it. Now start kicking, if it doesn't start in 5-7 kicks, give it another squirt of gas (twist the throttle as if you were revving it) now if it doesn't start in 2-3 kicks, pull in the hot start and kick it over slowly 4-5 times (if it didn't start by now it's flooded) now kick it over as if you were trying to start it. If it doesn't start in 2-3 more kicks then there is something seriously wrong with the bike. Best of luck to ya.

Thanks for the tips, will try tommorow. The bike is not too hard to start when warm, usually the first start of the day is the worst. The bike runs fine once started. Popping it has not worked either. The bike actually seems to start better if I do not pull out either the hot or cold start buttons. I was told never to touch the throttle before starting, but you guys probably know bwtter than the people I speak with. Thanks for the help. T.C.

If it is hard to start when cold, I would suspect it is lean. This can be adjusted with the fuel screw under the carb in front of the float bowl.

Your 02 YZ250F was notorious for being a difficult starter if you didn't do the drill. Read up on how to start it in the YZ250F forum. Also, many people have the 2003 cam with the auto decompression installed and swear the bike is MUCH easier to start.

Things that can make a bike hard to start:

worn spark plug

valves need adjusting (shim)

jetting out of spec.

Good luck, you have an excellent bike

Kevin

check your idle screw man. I have the 03 version. I could kick that thing all day if I wanted to. If i give just a little throttle when kicking 1 or 2 kicks does it on a cold start while choking. Get the bike started and warm it up good, then set the idle down kind of lower to more of a chug. (that is how mine is set)then that way you will give it a little bit of gas when starting cold, and then when it is warm you will have to use the hot start. the 02 version was a pain in the %^$^ to start, you might wanna upgrade to a 03 or newer, because they have a automatic decompression lever inside. Its nice. Oh yea dont run a spark plug for no longer then 5 or 6 months ever. I run 100 octane aviation fuel also. Well try that if you want. Since you are new to riding it may take you a while to develop a starting pattern. But after a while you will have it down in 1 to 3 kicks. :cry:

Check the valve clearances. That is the first thing I would do. My 02 250f was doing the exact same thing and two of my intake valves were tight. I'll bet that is your problem.

I know this is going to sound stupid.....Don't kick TOO hard :cry:

My buddy who came off a 500 2smoke was having this exact problem. He picked up a clean hardly used 02 YZ250f that he could not get to light. After pulling most of his hair out, "BIG Greg" at Varner Motorsports told him, "Kick it like a girl". I'll be damed if it don't work every time. :cry: (worth a try...cheap)

The bikes a little ripper too....box stock! :cry:

well i would use to kick my bike till' turned blue but one day im sittting there trying to kick it (my twostroke buddy was waiting for me) until he says just give a little of gas, so i gave it a little bit of gas with fullchoke on it started right up and that was before i re-jeted or anything it was bone stock then :cry: and plus i didn't know $hi% about bikes then either

Thanks for the tips, will try tommorow. The bike is not too hard to start when warm, usually the first start of the day is the worst. The bike runs fine once started. Popping it has not worked either. The bike actually seems to start better if I do not pull out either the hot or cold start buttons. I was told never to touch the throttle before starting, but you guys probably know bwtter than the people I speak with. Thanks for the help. T.C.

I would never use the "twisting the throttle" method to help start the beast. YZF's are notorious for flooding when that is done. The plug will almost always have to be changed if it gets wet. I would tamper with the fuel screw first, in fact I would suggest buying an aftermarket fuel screw that is extended so you can adjust it with no tools. Fuel screws need to be adjusted every ride (yes they will run without doing it but not at their best). The reason I suggested the JD kit is because he has worked out those problems. The kit will be so spot on you will be amazed. It comes with 2 needles (custom) and a few jets. According to everyone who has them they are spectacular. You could go by trial and error buying main, pilot and air jets, but why. JD has a lot of experience, use it. :cry:

Hi Guys,

New to site, am 44 yrs old, new to riding, (my son got me involved) question is Can I make my 02' YZF250 any easier to start? I have had a new cam put in that was supposed to make it easier, getting rid of the decompression lever but it is still a total pain. I spend half of the day huffing and puffing because a have kicked fifty or so times. I need the 4 stroke because I do alot of putting around with my boy. I will buy a newer bike if that is the consensus. Is there a certain model that does not have this problem? Thanks for all input.

the easiest way to get that YZF250 to start is to let someone else do it: sell/trade it for a YZ 250.

jeremiah

I would never use the "twisting the throttle" method to help start the beast. YZF's are notorious for flooding when that is done. The plug will almost always have to be changed if it gets wet. I would tamper with the fuel screw first, in fact I would suggest buying an aftermarket fuel screw that is extended so you can adjust it with no tools. Fuel screws need to be adjusted every ride (yes they will run without doing it but not at their best). The reason I suggested the JD kit is because he has worked out those problems. The kit will be so spot on you will be amazed. It comes with 2 needles (custom) and a few jets. According to everyone who has them they are spectacular. You could go by trial and error buying main, pilot and air jets, but why. JD has a lot of experience, use it. :cry:

I also give my bike one twist before starting it cold and not only does it start up on the first kick everytime, I have never ever fouled a plug doing it. Giving it a twist or two when its cold doesn't get the plug wet at all. It gets the inside of the carb wet, and when you kick it it over, vapor goes into the cylinder.

It works. Just don't do it hot.

Thanks for all of the great tips. I rode yesterday and used the twist grip method (twisted only once) and bike started on the second kick! That has never happend. I will have my freind check valve clearances this week as I have no idea how to do that. Thanks again, I have alot to learn