Sign in to follow this  

Fork upgrade 1988 Honda XR250R

Looking to upgrade my forks on my 1988 Honda XR250R. My forks are non-cartridge type, with no rebound damping adjustment. Looking for newer XR250 or XR400 Forks. Does anyone know if a 1991+ Honda XR250R fork or a 1996 XR400 forks are a straight bolt in? Will the triples bolt up to my frame? Are the tubes larger diameter - will this cause any issues? The only reason I bring up XR400 forks is the Russel at Thumper Racing said putting on XR400 forks is the way to go, if I can find a set. Once I get the forks I plan on sending them out for valving, etc. for my riding weight / riding type. I also thought about finding a pair of 1987 CR250R forks, which were supposed to be the "ULTIMATE" in cartridge forks, so I'm told my motorcross historians, but Russel said it would make my bike too tall (I don't want to go any taller!).

Any and all feedback appreciated.

You can drop in any 86-04 XR250 forks into your current triple clamps. Unless somehow 41mm has changed definition somewhere along the line.

You can drop in any 86-04 XR250 forks into your current triple clamps. Unless somehow 41mm has changed definition somewhere along the line.

Exactaly. The 96 current forks will bolt right up to your bike.

Thanks. I'll be looking for a set then.

Hey 87XR250R, your bike looks set up close to where i want to end up at. Who did your suspension? How do you like it? How much did it cost? Where did you get the white power body? Sounds like your bike rips!

My bike was set up by the local suspension "guru". At least that is what the local honda shop calls him. The bike is a blast to ride. I have no idea how much it cost him, it was his wifes bike, but he let it go for $1000. :cry: It is awesome, the suspension is near perfect, only thing that it doesnt like is slap down landings. Have no idea where he got the wp shock body, but he had the stock one and it was noticibly worn. Did i mention the engine is great! Lifts the front end easily in 1-3 and with some effort and a new tire in 4, and it revs like a 125, with that low end for idling up hills. Even my dad likes to ride it sometimes, and likes the power, but says that it he still like his CR500 beter. :cry: