Sign in to follow this  

bike wont start after sitting for a few weeks.

the 450 has sat the same amount of time and starts fine. i tried all the tricks like blips of the throttle and choke and all the other combinations. just wont fire at all. one thing i did notice is when i drained the bowl and pulled the main to change it i stuck my finger up in the bottom of the carb and could feel a small, thin piece of wire or something that was loose up in there. and no it wasnt the end of the needle. i could feel the needle and turned the throttle to get it out of the way. the thing i was feeling was against the left side of the bowl. any ideas? i havent had the carbs apart in these two bikes yet as i havent had the need. i guess i could go see if the same thing is on the 450. :cry: anyway, any ideas on how to start this thing? i plan on riding it tomorrow morning. thanks.

blipping the throttle defiantely won't get the bike started. The carb has an accelerator in it that pushes gas into the cylinder. The only thing I can think of is try using the hot start lever. It puts a little bit more gas into the engine. When the bike is cold, put the choke on, no gas and just kick it and kick it. Have you checked the plug? Sometimes "blipping" the throttle with foul it out. I'm going to have to go with that idea.

blipping the throttle defiantely won't get the bike started. The carb has an accelerator in it that pushes gas into the cylinder. The only thing I can think of is try using the hot start lever. It puts a little bit more gas into the engine. When the bike is cold, put the choke on, no gas and just kick it and kick it. Have you checked the plug? Sometimes "blipping" the throttle with foul it out. I'm going to have to go with that idea.

i know about the accelerator pump and i always have to blip the throttle 2-3 times to get my bikes started. and i tried the hotstart. my bikes will never start with the choke on when they are cold. no matter how many times i kick it! :cry:

and disregard the question about the little metal piece in the bowl as it is in the 450 also. :cry:

hmm...sounds strange. Maybe your jetting is off? My bikes have always started first kick with the choke on and no gas. Have you checked the plug like I stated?

blipping the throttle defiantely won't get the bike started

Not true,

My starting procedure that works every time. Open the petcock, pull the choke, turn the throttle 1 to 2 times depending how cold it is, kick and whala.

The hot start opens an air inlet that allows clean cooler air in when the motor is hot only. It will really not

help in a flooded condition. :cry:

well excuse my mis-statement. I read in numerous places that blipping the throttle only floods the engine...only on bikes with carbs that have the accelerator in them. Anyways, back to the problem, did you check the plug?

well excuse my mis-statement. I read in numerous places that blipping the throttle only floods the engine...only on bikes with carbs that have the accelerator in them. Anyways, back to the problem, did you check the plug?

nope. havent checked the plug. the bike only has 8hrs on it and i have never fouled the plug on any of my 4strokes. if it wont start tomorrow at the track with fresh gas in it i will change the plug then.

Before change the $15 to $20 plug that nobody will have in stock, bump start the darn thing!! :cry:

No reason to excuse yourself Riddenred, just get your facts straight. :cry:

Before change the $15 to $20 plug that nobody will have in stock, bump start the darn thing!! :cry:

No reason to excuse yourself Riddenred, just get your facts straight. :cry:

a new plug is in my tool box...new one came with the bike. :cry:

have you flushed out the old gas with new gas?? Sometimes even a few week old gas gets hard to light...

unfortunately it rained all weekend here so i did not get to ride. i will try again next time i go out. i bet it is just the bad gas. thanks for the replies.

What brand of gas and what octane was it?Did it have any VP Ultimate 4 in it lately?

What brand of gas and what octane was it?Did it have any VP Ultimate 4 in it lately?

just pump gas...no VP in it ever...

Dave, how long was it sitting?

My 450 wouldn't start after sitting for 3-4 wks once. It turned out the pilot jet was plugged.

Dave, how long was it sitting?

My 450 wouldn't start after sitting for 3-4 wks once. It turned out the pilot jet was plugged.

if putting new gas in it doesnt fix it then i will be cleaning the carb....it is such a PITA to take it off though! :cry:

You can just rotate it by loosening the clamps to take out the pilot. I just changed mine that way.

yeah i tried that but didnt have a small enough screw driver to fit...will get one and retry.

Not true,

My starting procedure that works every time. Open the petcock, pull the choke, turn the throttle 1 to 2 times depending how cold it is, kick and whala.

The hot start opens an air inlet that allows clean cooler air in when the motor is hot only. It will really not

help in a flooded condition. :cry:

Linco, that's the exact procedure I've been using to start and I can almost set my watch by it. Bike starts everytime on the 2nd kick when cold. Leave the choke on for about 15 seconds and it's ready to run.

It may be that I just wasn't used to starting this bike for a while but now I can pretty much start it first kick everytime. This bike floods easily so the advice about not pumping the throttle too much before kicking is sound. It doesn't take much throttle to get it started.