Sign in to follow this  

yz250f vs crf250r vs ktm 250f for first time dirt biker

HI i have a 01 raptor and iam selling it in the spring and plannign to go to dirt bike i have never drivin any kind of dirt bike befor although i have had several different quads(banshee warrior raptor etc)I have pretty well made up my mind on getting a 4 stoke and i think a 250f is a good enough size for starting out, umless some can convice me other wise. There are 3 main kinds iam looking at the ktm honda and yamaha. iam just wondering if someoen could fill me in on what the pros and cons are of each.Info about me.......I Would not be racing mx,mainly pretty agresive trail riding and climbing sand hills.I outside of edmton alberta if that helps any. Iam 15 about 170 and 5'10. iam looking for something fairly rilible that can go for a decent time on a trail ride(unlike 2 strokes). as well enoguh power to have some fun in the sand.

So with the info above could someone tell me witch would be a good choice,i dotn really no to much about dirt bike brands, liek witch is best/rilible and so on. Also i would be getting a used one yr 02-03 and dont wont to spend more then 5000 canadian max. i was think more along the raneg of 4000-4500. but agian i dotn know much abotu dirt bikes or what there selling for. and is 250f gona be fun/chalenges after owning a raptor or should i go to like 400.426cc Thnx

Get the YAMAHA DUDE. I have one and it is great. Do you like to be able to just go out and ride everyday? ? well if you do you will like the Yamaha man trust me i have one. I beat the living hell out of it..and it doesnt break. It handles really well and has lots of power. If you get the honda it will handle good ill give it that. But you have that thing in the shop all the time, prolly more then you ride. Yamahas are a tank and can handle anything. The ktm will be a good bike i think, hard to say. But the KTM will not have a linkage on the rear suspension, (and believe me that sucks) the rear end goes all over the place when it gets into big whoops or big braking bumps. Go with the yamaha hands down. :cry: :cry:

Well with your choices and requirments the only choice is yamaha.You said it would be a 2002-2003 bike.Honda started in 2004 and KTM still isnt out yet.

Forget the older KTM 250F's out there they were sleeved down 400's and were way under powered.

I love my YZ-250F It's hands down the best race bike I've ever owned. I've also ridden the CRF and honestly I would tell you to get the CRF-250 for trails, it have a lower seat height and has great mid range power to get you through the nastys. The CRF doesn't have the hard hitting engine that the YZF has but still puts out really good power so the CRF wont be as much clutch work when the going gets rough. You'll have a good time on either red or blue just pick the color that makes you happy but stay away from the older KTM-250F's.

iam looking for something fairly rilible that can go for a decent time on a trail ride(unlike 2 strokes). as well enoguh power to have some fun in the sand.

and is 250f gona be fun/chalenges after owning a raptor or should i go to like 400.426cc Thnx

Look if you go an 02 or 03 250f the only choice is yamaha. The KTMs have no power and the PDS shock needs major aftermarkt work to get it handling properly. The CRF only came out in 04.

But id suggest if your coming from a fire breathing raptor youd be better suited to a Yamaha YZ or WR426F or the first of the YZ or WR 450F. Both are super reliable and need less engine work than 250f and will handle power sapping dunes. I reckon you will be disapointed with the 250f's power coming from a raptor, especially given your riding in dunes. Your raptor had 660cc, four fat tyres to sit on top of the sand and you are not exactly small and still growing.

The 450 has more power and its got better power delivery than the 426 which comes on real sudden and is tiring to ride. Good Luck. :cry: