Sign in to follow this  

Anyone else have a "Fun" time changing a rear tire on an XR100

Earlier tonight, my dad and I put a new Dunlop tire on my XR100R. The old Bridgestone came off in minutes. Well putting the new tire on, took a good 3 hours. The tire wall was bigger so that didnt help. But the thing was that stunk was the Tire Stabilizer. The rubber kept pushing that side of the tire up and out of line. We finally managed to get the tire on, but that one part is still alittle higher than the other side. Anyone run into the same trouble? :cry:

These tires go on really easy compared to bigger bikes. What you need to do is back the nut all the way off the "tire stabilizer" better known as rim lock and push it up into the tire when you mount the bead in that area. And start at the rim lock and work your way around. Or beter yet, take it to your local shop and for $10-15 they will do it for you.

I have a tire changing stand at my shop, it takes me bout 15 min :cry:

However.....

I have done a rear tire at the track. Took me about an hour :cry:

I pay $15 for the tire shop 3 blocks from my house to change a tire. Takes them 15-20 min. :cry:

This should be a 10 minute job. You probably need a better set of tire irons. I once saw Jimmy Lewis change a 250 tire in three minutes. (no joke) There's a "how to" video tape floating around that will probably help bring down the time. Although, once I put on a Maxxis that took me an hour, so I know the feeling. :cry:

Although, once I put on a Maxxis that took me an hour, so I know the feeling. :cry:

I have been there, the things wear like iron....but also go on like iron. I had to change a tube in a dark parking lot for my friend (we got to the hotel and discovered a flat that would have ruined the next morning) with a maxxis and it was a pain in the arse.

I put the tire on my XR and it was fairly easy but on my DRZ I got the old one half way off and then took it to the shop where I was getting a part anyway and they changed it for $10 but honestly I could have done it it would have just taken an hour or 2. The XR100 was easy compared to the DRZ400 though.