Sign in to follow this  

crf450r good or bad trail bike?

I currently have a crf230f and its been a great bike for me to learn on but I want more power. My buddy rides a xr650 and he loves the power it has. Will a crf450 be to much power for trail riding?

I have ridden with guys that had highly modified 450 that rocked on trails The 2 biggest downfalls is oil capasity and short gearing that runs out of space on more open terrain what about waiting for the crfx or getting a bike more suited for trails? Either way they are amazing bike that just need to be watched ...like all new four strokes. Oh Baja Desings has lots of cool stuff to make a crf more trail friendly. :cry: Even the 250f would be a big improvment on the 230.

thanks for the input. I don't want to have to buy another bike for a few years so I want to make sure the next bike I get will have all the power I will ever need. I just bought the 230 I currently own and I have only rode it a couple of months and I allready regret buying such a small bike. Will a crf250 have what I'm looking for or will I be happier with a crf450.

The CRF250X might but the CRF250R isn't recommended. Unless you are willing to spend tons of money for flywheels and suspension work the R models are not very good. The X is prefered. If you are a play rider you would probably be better off with a XR250r or XR400r.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Will a crf450 be to much power for trail riding?

Yes. I also agree with what Dwight said.

I'd also like to add that a lot of people are having trouble with the intake valves on the CRFRs. Unless I was racing I wouldn't want the head ache.

:cry:

Hermy,

Found you your new bike.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/motocross/model.asp?ModelName=CRF450X&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=CRF450X5

Sounds like the 450R in trail form. Weighs quite a bit more, 255lb compared to 218 on the R :cry: , holds a bit more fuel, 2.27gal compared to 1.9gal, different suspension and gearing, etc.

Maybe someone here, or in the CRF450 section can explain the differences. I *think* the 450X is very very recently released, so might not be a lot of info on it. I'd assume it has maybe skidplates and reinforcements in strategic places for trail riding type abuse. Maybe that accounts for some of the extra weight. I know that weight was one of your primary concerns though, so a bit of research in why they needed that extra weight would behoove you.

I don't know much about them, but I'm sure you can research a bit. If I'm not mistaken, these are what Honda is expecting to replace the XR400. They sure aren't listing an '05 model of the 400 :cry:.

Best Regards,

Thomas P. :cry:

Yes,some of us have made our own x model.this is the best trail bike I have owned,I have put some money into it like any other bike . I had a wr450 they do have the bell & whistles( and Weight).this crf out shines the WR in so many ways I cant believe it.(check out my sig)

it depends on the kind of trails you ride. the stiff suspension and mx gearing will work against you on really tight and technical trails, but i thought the motor was pretty sweet for off-road (of course, i ride 2-strokes, so even a supposedly ferocious mx 4-stroke still feels slow-revving and tame). i would be concerned about the valves and small oil capacity. right now if i were looking at a 4-stroke, i'd look at ktm, or a yzf450 as being proven and reliable, or maybe wait until 06 and see how the crf450x does reliability-wise. a drz400 might be a good trailbike. much more power than your 230, and better suspension as well.

i personally would be plenty happy with a crf as a trailbike, but i wouldn't actually buy one, cuz i think there are better ones for less money that are more reliable out there.

mw

Well in saturdays PrimeTime hare scrambles I remember seeing about 5 CRF's, 1 WR, 1 DRZ and no 2-strokes off the track and upside down in a ditch, creek or just off the trail in a mess. I know I was wishing for a KTM200 on this course, as the 525 was a little big in spots.

All these guys were on kick only bikes and after lighting there bikes up 4-5 feet to get them back on the trail, I just don't think they had the energy to kick those thumpers. I like my thumpers to have E-start myself.

Cheers,

I own an 04 CRF 450 and my buddy owns an 04 XR650L. I live out in the Palm Springs area and I love my bike more than words can explain. Great power, all usable, and the bike handles great and is comfortable in sand or dirt. The only issue I have with it is the small gas tank which I will hopefully fix with a Clarke this year. My buddy on the other hand loves his BRP (Big Red Pig) but it is heavy and he has trouble keeping up on some terrain. It is handy to have his bike around considering his gas capacity is almost 5 gallons now so I just bring a siphon hose in case of the worst. Keep in mind the XR650L is street legal so it's going to be heavier, but he had to change the sprockets and some other stuff to bring the gear ration down out of the sky. I've riden the XR400 as well and I don't like it nearly as much as my 450.

If you know the California terrain then the CRF shines in spots like Ocotillo Wells where the desert is open but technical. I did have some issues keeping up with XR in tight single track stuff in Corral Canyon out by San Diego but once I got the hang of the gearing I was able to do better and keep the bike from stalling.

From a very happy CRF450 owner.

I'll add my .02 cents......

As my user name suggests, I HAD the 450. In my neck of the world, I hated it. However, I'm in the South where tight woods may be more the norm than your area. It is a beast in tight woods.

I have known plenty of guys who use them trail ridding. For the most part, the guys who like them have these common traits: 1. Good, good riders -- i.e. can make use of the power 2. Big guys (6' plus, 200+ lbs) 3. Love Honda and willing to put up with the obvious shortfalls (in my opinion) for trails

In the for-what-its-worth catogory: I will almost 100% gaurantee you that you can go just as fast with less energy on the 250X or even R as long as most trails keep you 4th gear and below.

Just my thoughts. :cry: