Sign in to follow this  

TE250 = Supertanker

I am very sore after today's 50 miler at Taneum ridge. Someone will no doubt post photos in the Northwest board if someone wants to see what it was like.

Perfect fall weather and my TE250 ran very well. At 5,000 - 6,000 feet it bogged quite a bit at low revs but that is more than likely a jetting issue. Maybe a leaner pilot or dropping the needle one position. I did hit neutral on several 1-2 upshifts and 2-1 downshifts but since I have done that with every bike I have ever owned, I think it is more rider technique than bike problem.

The only problem was an occassional reluctancy to go into first gear. Sometimes after stopping the only way to engage first gear was to start to engage the clutch in 2nd and then pull the lever back in and then shift into first gear. This was at the 5 hour mark so I may have been too tired to shift properly.

We got back to the trucks with 50.1 miles on the odometer. When I got home I topped off the tank it it took only 1.5 gallons. That puts the IMS 2.9 gallon tank at close to 100 miles for me. That is some serious range and one of the reasons I am glad I went with the 250. This was some pretty tight stuff with a lot of 1st and 2nd gear terrain. Running third gear at the same rpm would easily put mileage at 100+ miles per tank. Fuel consumption depends a lot on ride technique so your mileage may vary.

Great ride with great people. I love the TE250 and hopefully those shifting woes will turn out to have been technique related.

Greg

Greg_M, Just out of curiosity...What oil are you using. I know in my humble riding experience that some bikes just crave certain lubricants. Some lubricants that make them shift notchy? and some that make them shift better. (Not Husky specific)

Also 50 tight great northwet miles on a very new bike makes for generally very dirty oil in a new motor. I actually have noticed that my oil was very dirty after the first 4-6 rides and then started to come out as clean as it went in on the Euro bikes. (BTW I change after every ride because oil is cheaper than steel.)

I know that you have taken a very cautious approach and are an experienced rider so its more for my curiousity than anything.

I am using Redline 15/50. The oil has sat in my garage for five years in factory containers and who knows, maybe it has gone bad. I am sure that is not the case.

I'll ride the bike around the neighborhood this week and see if the shifting is still notchy. BTW, is there an oil that four stroke guys really like? I'll be out of the redline soon enough and can switch to something else.

Greg

A lot of the Yamaha 250f guys are using Mobil 1 15w50 (Red cap). I ran it for two years without any engine or clutch problems. Shifting was also very good. Using Syn. oil my be overkill but like mcdrz said,"oil is cheaper than steel". Walmart sells it in a 5 quart jug.

Try Shell Rotella 5W-40W synthetic. It works the best out of everything I've used in the GG and Husky 2-stroke trans. Clutch action is great, and it drains out clean with little debri on the magnet. Better performance than oils at more than 3X the cost. $13/gallon at Walmart.

Try Shell Rotella 5W-40W synthetic. It works the best out of everything I've used in the GG and Husky 2-stroke trans. Clutch action is great, and it drains out clean with little debri on the magnet. Better performance than oils at more than 3X the cost. $13/gallon at Walmart.

I second that. :cry:

It tested well along with a few other oils. Please look at the following link for everything you always wanted to know about oil but were afraid to ask.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#Oil

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/API.html

http://www.dansmc.com/4stroke_oil.htm

ktl...

How often are you changing out your oil and filter? I'm changing the oil and the filter about every 15 hours.

ktl...

I change oil every (roughly 120 Miles) and the oil filter every second oil change

Unless I ride an enduro then the bike gets an oil change before and after the enduro.

I use Rock Oil 5W-40 as per sticker and Husky dealer recommendation.

I've been using red cap mobil 1 or maxima 15/50 in both my VOR and Husky and change it every ride and filter every other. I noticed the notchy shifting also... :cry: