Sign in to follow this  

Gearing question on YZ250

I am a pretty light rider..around 160 lbs, how lethargic with my YZ be if I slap 15/47 gearing on there, that will have it topped out right at 90 ish mph at 10,000 rpm just as a reference point. I don't do any technical riding..so not too concerned about first gear. I also found someone who makes a 16tooth CS sprocket..if it fits that might be even better. I am just trying to find a gearing setup that is better for the street than the 14/50 gearing on there presently..without giving up too much of the engines fun powerband. I also need to be able to keep the case saver. The fact that I can easily take off ins econd gear and see that would still be streetable...I think there is alot of room.

may just go up 1 tooth in the front and reduce the back sprocket by like 10-15 teeth rule of thumb is that the more teeth you put on or take away from the front the more wear you will have anyways good luck :cry:

The lowest sprocket i can find for the rear is a 47, and someone makes a 16 for the front..although I have no idea if it will fit with a case saver, it should arrive next week and I'll know.

Renthal I just found out makes a 42 tooth rear...so now Iam torn between a 15/45 ish or even lower..to like a 15/42 ish for some nice top end. I think the 15/45 ought to be sufficient...anyone have any idea what is considered the redline for this engine?