Sign in to follow this  

Just bought...02 "S" First impressions

The bike has 1000 miles in it. Must have been real easy miles as the bike looks, sounds, smells and feels new.

It is the blue one, though I was looking for Yellow...Anyways.

Took it out today on some streets heading to the Altamont hills along the railroad tracks. I was surprised to find that the bike would clutch up in 3rd gear. Damn...

I believe that the bike is very lean. The previous owner indicated that he had the dealer jet the bike for 5000', so I do not know what jets are in it. The bike felt hot (maybe because my legs felt hot) but I attribute this to what most likely is lean jetting. The bike will hunt on steady throttle, and every once in a while, I will grab a handfull and drop the clutch to wheelie over something, and it will bog badly. (It only happened maybe 3 times, so I am not ruling out rider error...like maybe I accidentally found the rear brake without knowing it???) My current mount is a CRF450 that I mostly MX with, and occasionally motard, and I know that every once in a while I will do the same on that bike, but mostly only on real bumpy uphills where i might find myself standing and trying to get forward on the bike. This is what it feels like on the DRZ, but for some reason I do not feel the brake like I do on the Honda which is why I am uncertain.

Rejetting is basically out of the question as I hope to order an FCR from Carb parts warehouse, as soon as I figure out exactly which parts are needed so that I do not end up with the bike out of commission for a few weeks. And I do not wish to spend the $60 or so on a carb that will be around for less than a month.

The frame (or is it the suspension) does not feel very tight. Hard to explain, but even on wheelies I have trouble getting and holding the balance point (which is very high...) as the bike feels like it is swaying in the middle, or something like that. (No, I have not set the sag or checked the suspension settings) For SM I will likely go full in on Comp and Reb for front and rear and see if that helps...oh yeah, in corners this same "flexy" feeling is present. I hope that it is the suspension. I notice that the front end actually sags when I sit on the bike, while my CRF does not, so that "may" be something. (lose weight from front of bike?) -I am 180 lbs.

I hate the grips. -Rock hard

I hate the bars. -Who is the target rider anyhow? These are WAY to low, and they are not out front enough. The bike encourages sitting back rather than forward. This needs to be addressed with better bars, but I fear that it still will not be right until I get a better top clamp. Then I could run my fatbars as well since I have a few extra setting around.

The tires...I do not know what to say about them. They felt scary in the dirt, but then the dirt was very dry, and often times I was on dry grass which is like ice. On the street I was afraid to push the tires due to the above weird handling feel of the bike.

I gotta lose the exhaust...sounds like a sewing machine rather than a motorcycle. Might even pick up a bit of stomp, but I cannot do this until I tackle the carb, as I mentioned earlier, I fear that the bike is jetted lean right now.

The bike is heavy, but I feel that if I sort the suspension, it might make a lot of that feeling disappear, since I feel the bike moving in odd ways. This makes it feel heavier than it is?

The tank has to go. I do not like metal tanks as they just seem to heavy to me, and they scare me. (I hate to ding something so pretty!)

The footpegs are a joke. I have Fastways on my Honda, and maybe I am just spoiled, but you almost have to balance on the Zooks pegs, they are that skinny. And you cannot grab the bike with your legs as the pegs do not grab your feet like they should. (I know I should remove the rubber inserts)

The good news is that my list of upgrades should be small. Meanwhile, they will not be cheap.

--I gotta have the FCR, as this carb makes the bike's power deliver feel soft (and it is jetted lean which normally makes it feel more urgent than rich jetting)

--I need an exhaust system. (Any opinions on how to get the Pro-Circuit Ti4 canister on a headpipe from ???) -I do not believe that they sell the complete system. I may consider the FMF system as well. Or Muzzy. I like the Yosh pro-series, but it does not appear to have spark arrestor or sound level control capabilities... I figure that I need to replace the entire system.

--Top clamp for oversize bars?

--Footpegs...wonder if Fastway does em for the 400?

--Remove unwanted parts (rack, front signals etc)

--Mount 17s

Sorry so long winded. I hope to beat Suzuki at their own game when they come out with the SM. One day, I may even (most likely) go with the ME 436 kit and some cams.

The DRZ has 17s on order from East Coast wheels, as well as the Motomaster race kit. Now gotta find a master cylinder. In addition, I need to mount my Panoram on the bike to save the speedo assy.

-Mike

i bought an 02 last year and its a good bike. the trail wings are great on the street but as you mentioned awful in dirt. I push them pretty hard on the street. more then a few times if backed it into corners or flat tracked a bit after the apex. My 02 feels pretty solid in a wheelie but if you arent centered and you try to correct you can wobble around a bunch. are you sitting or standing on these wheelies? using a hole saw bit and cutting the restriction out of the end cap on the exhaust helps the note a bit. I have seen bar risers for the drz the raise and push forward the bars a bit. kinda hard with the speedo cluster there but it can be done with the risers or new clamp.

have fun

Mostly sit down wheelies, as I am not comfortable with the bars right now. Give me a few more rides on the bike...

-MW

--I need an exhaust system. (Any opinions on how to get the Pro-Circuit Ti4 canister on a headpipe from ???) -I do not believe that they sell the complete system. I may consider the FMF system as well. Or Muzzy. I like the Yosh pro-series, but it does not appear to have spark arrestor or sound level control capabilities... I figure that I need to replace the entire system.

Do the Yosh full stainless with the middle tec insert...quiet and huge snap.