Sign in to follow this  

changing oil

can someone please give me step by step intsructions out of the manuel of a 2002 XR250 on how to change the oil? I'm getting a manuel tomorrow, and I'm breaking in the new top end so I want to change the oil as soon as possible. also, how much oil do I need to put in it if I'm just going to clean the oil filter? thanks

I was just about to copy and paste some of my xr400 workshop manual ive got on this computer here, to give you an exact procedure, but the pages on the manual are pictures not font, so i wont be able to do that.

But to service it, Thats easy! all you have to do is first undo to top dip stick in the frame behind and below the handle bars. and take it out for now.

Then get a oil drain tray, in the rite place, to undo the bolt/plug at the bottom of the front frame oil reservoir. then let all the oil drain out of the frame. then reinstall the bolt.

Then put the drain tray under the engine, and undo the bolt directly behind the middle of the gear changer, and let all the oil drain out of there and the reinstall the bolt.

Then get somone to hold the bike leaning over the oposite side that it leans on the stand, so when u undo the oil filter cap the oil can drain out over into the drain tray, intsead of going all over the engine and frame.

so once youve got the oil filter out, I would be getting a new filter, I havnt heard of cleaning it before? I dont know if thats a good idea. ummm, personaly i'd get a new one.

any way, put the filter back in WITH THE O RING AND HOLE IN THE FILTER FACING OUT!!!!!!!! It says on the filter 'This side facing Out!' I put it in the wrong way around once and ceiced my engine!

Then put the cover back on and reinstall the the bolts for the oil filter cover.

THEN, get a funnel and your oil, fill it up in the top of the frame behind of the handel bars, where the dipstick was.

Fill it up until you can see the oil near the top of the filler hole. then get the dip stick and screw it back in tight and start it for a minute.

that will get the oil pumped up around everywhere and in the filter.

So then turn it off and take the dip stick out and the oil will be gone, so keep filling it up again until its near the top, then u can check it with the dip stick if you like. Then reinstall the dipstick and your done!

Also does anyone know if there would be any problem with filling it up with oil way past the max oil level on the dip stick? I cant see what differnce it would make, its not like its a sump where the crank will froth it up if too high oil level, its only the frame! one thing i do know, that if the dip stick is undone and u run it, it will over flow, so mabey their is too much oil pressuse with too much oil? dont know, do you? it dosnt say any thing in my workshop manual.

I would strongly recommend you follow the manual and not overfill the oil. I bought a used 2003 XR 400 that looked practically new off Ebay. I drove about 5 hours up to Michigan to pick it up. Before we closed the deal, I started it up and rode it a bit. It ran terrible and would not idle at all. The guy bought this new in the Fall of '02 so it had sat quite a bit. I figured it was just stale gas. I got it home and drained out the old gas and put in fresh. It still ran like crap. I checked the plug and it was fouled, so I changed the plug. No improvement. I checked the oil and it looked a little high on the stick. I read the manual and it said to run it about 5 minutes before checking. When I did that, it read really high. I drained out some oil and then some more. Still overfilled. I finally drained it all out including the crankcase (side access port). All told it was close to 4 quarts! It's only supposed to hold a little over 2 quarts if you drain out every last drop. I removed the carburetor and disassembled it. There was an oil stain in the bowl and some of the passages were plugged up. There was also an oil stain in the intake port. The oil must have gotten up into the head and ran back down into the carb when it was shut off. Once I cleaned the carb and put it back together, it ran great. I don't know how it got overfilled. It could have been the guy I bought it from or the dealership up there. I also saw where someone else on this site had their bike overfilled at the dealership. This is not like a car or a lawn mower. You have to check these after running them for a while. If you check them cold, you will be overfilling. :cry:

There is no possible way that oil can get out of the crank case or on top of the head and into the inlet port and run back down into the carb!

It just doesnt work like that! :cry:

Even if it had flogged out valve guides (which is the only place where the oil could get into the inlet port) It still wouldnt let hardly any oil though to the inlet port. NOT that XR's would flog out guides though! Especially not inlets.

So I dont know where that oil came from but it definatly woulnt of come from over filling it with oil. It probly just ran good because you cleaned out the carby.

If it had oil in the inlet port! It would of been SO Smokey when you ran it to start with! So i doubt that it had oil in it at all.

So remember, its only the Frame resivior that you filling up with oil! Your not filling up the crank case!

The engine's oil pump is still going to pump the same amout of oil around the engine and back into the frame, regardless of how much oil is above the dipstick level.

Im not having a go at you, im just interested in what people have to say about over filling the Frame resivior.

All I know is what I observed. I am by no means an expert. It had twice the amount of oil it should have in it. There was oil in the carburetor. The oil was way over the observation port on the side of the case (near the oil line connections). The intake port had an oil stain as well. The oil stains were yellow (like 4 stroke color not green like 2 stroke), so it wasn't contaminated with premix. I really had to work to get the oil residue out of the bowl of the carb. I can't explain it. All I know is that it runs fine now and I'm going to make sure it never gets overfilled again. :cry: