Sign in to follow this  

CRF 450 or Ktm450sx

After riding a friends KTM 525 at the track last weekend and being blow away, I have decided to make the 4 stroke plunge.I will be retiring my 98 CR250 and KLX300 to do this. Since I already own a KLX 4 Stroke, I am already aware of the start drill and other 4 stroke Issues.

I am having a hard time deciding which bike to get.

Based on my reading in this forum, I sounds like the CRF450 will be alot more maintainance then my CR250 2 stroke. Is this true? By the sound of things, it is worst to do valve maintainence than a 2 stroke top end (every 6 months). Is this true?

Based on my reading in the KTM forum, it sounds like the 450SX is more maintainance but is easier to work on.

I like Hondas and comming of a CR250R already know the build quality and toughness of their product. (I have never had any complaints or problems with the trusty CR 2 stroke)

Can someone who has made the transition from the CR250 to the CRF or KTM commit on thier experience. I dont mind some wrench turning, but don't want a lot more than I have now.

Reading the post on here on TT has made me (valve) paranoid.

Thanks.

I made a choice this spring between the CRF450 and the KTM525 ... I chose the CRF450. I was moving from a KX250. The CRF was a little lighter (real world weight) than the KTM. However the KTM had the magic button. By the time the CRF is dual sported and fitted with part upgrades, its price and weight will be similar to that with the KTM ... the CRF will still be a little lighter without an electric start. The auto clutch upgrade on the CRF will more than make up for it not having an electric start.

I do enjoy working and upgrading bikes. So I would probably chose the CRF450 over the KTM525 again.

As far as maintenance goes, I have about 50 hours on the CRF without any more issues than a 2stroke as yet. I

am a believer that the key to increased reliability is in not riding the CRF450 in the high part of its power band and in keeping dirt out of the intake. :cry: Compared to a 250 2-stroke, there is plenty of torque with the CRF450 at low RPM's so you do not have to bounce off of the rev limiter.

The CRF450 takes a bit more work (than the KX250) to ride thru twisty single tracks. The CRF's 4-stroke torque does allow for less shifting and smoother power deliver over the greasy stuff like wet mud & tree roots.

All-in-all, the 4-stroke power delivery was better for me. Both the CRF450 and the KTM525 are great bikes that that deliver 4-stroke performance in a frame that handles great. :cry:

Jim :cry:

If I was choosing between Honda and KTM I would get the Honda.

"I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride."

The CRF was a little lighter (real world weight) than the KTM. However the KTM had the magic button.

Remember, if it has an e-start, it IS NOT an SX model KTM, and you are NOT comparing the same type of bikes! You rode an EXC or MXC KTM, which will weigh a GOOD 15-20 lbs more than the CRF.

KTM's SX pricing is well in line, if not cheaper, than alot of CRF's I've seen.

Thanks for the replys. The demand for the CRF in my area (Raleigh NC.)makes the KTM price look very attractive. 450SX or 525SX

I have not ridden a CRF yet but was totally impressed with the 525. I thought it would be heavy, too much power, and less than Japanese suspension, but when I rode the thing, I realized that this motor is the best yet I have ridden, and the handling was really good. Within 2 laps at a locall track, I was more comfortable than on my own bike. I did notice that the rear suspension did transmit some roughness that the CR just gobbles up, but that sounds like it can be fixed by running the Sag higher than normal.

It would be a slam dunk decision for me if I new what that the reliability would be good. No leaky fork seals, no broken bolts, ect. that seams to plague the KTM's.

Good deals on Honda right now are un-obtainable because of the demand. Quotes in my area are around $ 7500 OTD. The KTMs can be had for around 6K to 6.5K OTD

Tough choice!

Where are you getting quotes for the Hondas from? Because they are ripping you off. MSRP for the CRF450R is $6699 and the CRF450X is $6999. My dealer knocked off $200 for the CRF450X and they arent going to see it until March. Yes I put a deposit down on this bike and will get it for this price, and Im sure they would have done at least that much off on the CRF450R also if that had been the one I was interested in. When I bought my 03 CRF they knocked off $600 off of MSRP. If I were you I would try somewhere else.

I will not pay 7K let alone 7.5k.

I will probably call dealers in the rural outskirts of the State or consider purchasing out of state.

It's hard to beat the KTM 450 for 5800 OTD.

At this point I am not considering North American Motorcycle brokers because of the recient Issues and Backorders.

One thing is for sure, I will be purchasing something within the next 2 weeks.

This decision is an easy one. Get the KTM. They are both great bikes, but price alone makes the difference. Both will require the same maintenance, both are way more reliable than posts may indicate. You will get used to and love either bike. Still, if you have the opportunity, ride both bikes. Some will prefer one over the other for various reasons, but they will be nit-picking opinions to say the least. They really are both great bikes. That's why price makes this an easy decision.

One more note, parts availability is a NON ISSUE. You can get parts just as fast at roughly the same cost for either bike.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR $ ON THE KTM, EVEN WITH THE $ SAVINGS YOU WILL PAY MORE ON REPAIRS AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT AWAY WHEN YOUR DONE WITH IT; no resale value. If you ride hard there is no choice and dont let saving some money control your choice. Trust me I know first hand. The only time a KTM is good is when its brand new on the show room floor.

I live in NC just 2 hrs west of you and I got my 04 CRF450 for $5900. out the door !!

Go with the honda, Suspension is everything.

I have seen no trouble in my valves, or anything else, with about 80 hrs. on it.

E-mail me @ george.hopkins@ipaper.com and I will tell you a few local bike stores for good prices.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR $ ON THE KTM, EVEN WITH THE $ SAVINGS YOU WILL PAY MORE ON REPAIRS AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT AWAY WHEN YOUR DONE WITH IT; no resale value. If you ride hard there is no choice and dont let saving some money control your choice. Trust me I know first hand. The only time a KTM is good is when its brand new on the show room floor.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.... Lemons come in all colors. Overall, blue, red, and orange are very reliable bikes. And yes, I know first hand too.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.... Lemons come in all colors. Overall, blue, red, and orange are very reliable bikes. And yes, I know first hand too.

I agree. I ride with many people that have KTM 450's and 525's with no problems except for one. A KTM 450 that broke a ring and had to be towed out but other that the rest have no problems.

I would agree with ALMOST all the posts so far. Both great bikes. On the resale value, I've gotta disagree. Around here KTM's hold their value better than any other bike. Maybe it is a local thing.

My buddies ride Red, I ride Orange: we all like both bikes, we're all happy with the ones we have. Maybe there is no wrong choice here. :cry:

Yup, any bike can be a lemon. It happens!

I got my '04 450SX for $5650. Beat that! :cry:

BUY THE BIKE BASED ON HOW YOU LIKE IT.

I have ridden '04 YZ450's, '04 CRF450, and my '04 KTM 450SX.

THe Yamaha would be the bottom of my list.

It is a CLOSE call between the CRF and the KTM for me, but I could get the KTM for almost 700 bucks cheaper, plus, I like the stock furnishings, and I love the feel of the KTM. And you CANNOT beat the brakes on a stock KTM.

BUT, if you like Japanese handling and Japanese handling only, you will not like the KTM. If you are willing to learn, you will be glad you did.