Sign in to follow this  

KTM or CRF

After riding a friends KTM 525 at the track last weekend and being blow away, I have decided to make the 4 stroke plunge.I will be retiring my 98 CR250 and KLX300 to do this. Since I already own a KLX 4 Stroke, I am already aware of the start drill and other 4 stroke Issues.

I am having a hard time deciding which bike to get.

Based on my reading in this forum, I sounds like the CRF450 will be alot more maintainance then my CR250 2 stroke. Is this true? By the sound of things, it is worst to do valve maintainence than a 2 stroke top end (every 6 months). Is this true?

Based on my reading in the KTM forum, it sounds like the 450SX is more maintainance but is easier to work on.

I like Hondas and comming of a CR250R already know the build quality and toughness of their product. (I have never had any complaints or problems with the trusty CR 2 stroke)

Can someone who has made the transition from the CR250 to the CRF or KTM commit on thier experience. I dont mind some wrench turning, but don't want a lot more than I have now.

Reading the post on here on TT has made me (valve) paranoid.

Thanks.

I went from a cr125 to a crf450 to a ktm 525sx All about in a years time. Starting a ktm is not like your older 4 strokes just kick and it will start no top dead center stuff.

The funnest eaziest bike I have ever ridden would be a 2000-2002 ktm 520sx ,they are so eazy to start and ride.

I think you'll be amazed at how much you'll like either the KTM or the CRF. I went from two-strokes ('01 CR500, '01 KX250) to an '04 CRF450. The bike makes me a better rider. I have a lot more confidence in jumping, cornering, whoops, everything. The power is awesome but it never feels like your out of control. The power feels like it is everywhere in the rpm range.

As for maintaining the CRF, I've not had any valve issues, however I've only got about 30 hours of MX riding on it. They are very easy to start, and really only require you to stay on top of your oil and oil filter changes, and keeping the air filter clean. Do those frequently and you should be in good shape. Also, checking the valves is not a big deal, it's not a very complex task - and the procedure is explained in detail in the owners manual.

I'm partial to red, however, the KTM would probably be a great choice as well. I've heard the 525sx is sick, unbelievable power that is easier to ride than the 450s (read it in a magazine this week).

The 525 is a monster, but it can be placid. I came off a 520SX to my 450SX.

My 450 SX is not as fast as my 520, but my 450 is quicker.

I am seconds a lap faster on my 450 than I ever was on my 520. YOu get that 520 opened up though, there is NO stopping it, and you better not be behind it, as you end up with welts.

The 450 is a more honed weapon than the 520/5's.

How is the reliability and quality control for the late model 450s and 525s. I know that leaky fork seals and broken bolts plagued earlier models. Has this been improved.

If the seals start leaking the 2 week of riding will KTM fix them?

Also wondering if the 525 would be more reliable since it is not working as hard to the same power as a 450. I am not too worried about lap times since I dont race.

Most Honda guys hate KTM's. Honda riders are more blind than NASCAR fans about Ford vs. Chevy. You will hear all kinds of shmeg spewing about how nothin's better than a Honda. The truth is, the 450SX is EVERY BIT as good as a Honda, even better in some ways. Parts are just as readily available for KTM's as they are for any other bike, including Honda. Maintenence on any high performance four stroke is different than a 2 stroke, but not really more or less, depending on how you look at it. You will have to keep an eye on the valves of ANY thumper you buy, red, blue, or orange. But, you won't have to put a new top end in every season like a smoker. That being said, working on a KTM is WAAAAYYY easier than a Hon. or Yam. How long would it take to adjust your sag on a jap bike vs. a KTM, let alone replace the spring!!!! You can swap the shock spring faster on a KTM than most people would be able to even remove the shock on a Honda. Personal preference plays a bigger part in the final decision. If you don't have a blind red eye you will be able to make an intelligent decision. If you want a biased decision, you can fine it anywhere. Truth, is unbiased facts. The fact is, the KTM 450 is everybit as good as a CRF450, but with far superior accouterments.

get the KTM i switched to the orange side and now thats the onlt kind of bike ill own, everytime i throw my leg over the bike its like a dream, and the hydraulic clutch is awesome, i love these bikes and im sure you would too :cry:

If your vavle paranoid get the 250SX, or the 300MXC. The 300 will be more 4-stroke like.

If not, get a 525SX. Its light and has much more torque than any 450 so it can pull taller gears and make the 4-speed tranny work well.

If you run out of gears you can put a 6-speed in. If you can't start it you can add E-start. Just do a search lots of info up here.

I wanted a CRF, but got a YZF instead cause of all the problems 1/2 the CRF owners have. My last name is murphy, so I know which 1/2 I'd be on. :cry:

The KTM has been rock solid the year that I've had it.

Good luck,

My buddy has an '04 450SX, and I have an '05 CRF450. I would have to say that I like the CRF better. The suspension seems plusher, power is better, and it "feels" like 20 lbs. lighter. And, I think the CRF has the KTM beat in the looks department. JMHO. :cry:

Having owned and ridden both. While I beleive that KTM is closing the motorcross gap, The CRF is a better motorcross bike. Offroad though is a different story. The KTM-450exc spanks the CRF (250 or 450)

Chris

04 KTM-450exc

04 CRF-250

03 CRF-450 -- sold

I picked up a 04 450sx this weekend, so for better or worse I am officially orange.

Having ridden only breifly today, I can say that I am pleased with the ride. It feels very neutal and light.

Is there anything that I should lookout for during breakin.

I already found that one of the oil filter O-ring seals was nicked at the factory an leaks just a little.

I also lost 1 of the radiator shroud bolts, even though I was stopping periodically and going over the bike for those kinds of things.

Thanks.

Having owned and ridden both. While I beleive that KTM is closing the motorcross gap, The CRF is a better motorcross bike.

If you're comparing an EXC to a CRF on a MX track, you are not providing a fair comparison. :cry:

I am a diehard Honda CRF owner, however I rode an 04 KTM 450sx on the track this weekend and thought it was an excellent bike (the seat was as hard as a 2x4). I honestly feel that it is what color you want. They all make a great bike. Mantenance on my Honda consist of ss valves at about 150 hours, other than that I change the oil/filter/air filter.

I rode a couple of 450sx's on the track while I had my CRF450, and just perfered the CRF on the track.

Chris