Sign in to follow this  

CRF-230 Purchase ??'s

Ok, I will be buying a CRF-230 in about two weeks. In another thread here it was mentioned sometimes the dealer will have the seat lowered so as not to intimidate the targeted market. One questions this leads me too is how do I know if the seat has been lowered? I am 6'0" and 180lbs so I am not in need of a lowered seat, and probably need the seat as high up as it can go!

Also, with my weight, will the suspension with or without mods be good enough to handle most "average" trails without bottoming out?

thanks,

Dave

well i know that bbr sells a suspension linkage that makes the bike 1 in' higher then to match that you can put on a bbr triple clamp wich makes the handlebars 2 in. higher then buy the tall seat foam and adjust the sag if you realy think it wont fit you that well but you can probably just adjust the sag :cry:

I was at the dealer today and the 230 I sat on seemed to sag quite a bit.. almost to about two inches from the wheel (from my persppective on the seat) I am thinking I would bottom out on every bump I hit. I didn't have time to wait to talk to a salesperson though to see if that was the normal seat height.

Think I should consider the 250 instead?

Odd question , I don't think they lower the seat . The rear shock has adjustments but not that much. And don't forget it is a trail-bike (off-road)....not a motorcross bike.

I got a CFR230F a month ago and I am 6 ft. at 270lbs . I ride in the woods and I do the woops and small jumps and grind through the mud all the time ! we were out on trails and down to the mud-pit and did the woops all day today & yesterday!I have never felt my front or rear bottom out! ever.....And I think the bike is the right hight at 6ft.

I am kinda new and I think the bike is great for me . I do like the 250X but the $$ is kinda high and I have to see if my riding will ever advance to call for the need to upgrade to the 250X or when my son gets two feet taller I will give mine to him and maby I'll get the other one . But I will have to give it some thought ....after all I just coach my son and go for weekend jaunts in the woods ....I will never be a MX-star in my 40's.....lol! Buy what you can afford and handle.

DanmacK...............................................

I'm 5' 11 1/2" & 225 lbs. One of the first things you'll want to do is get taller handlebars. I just put on the Protapers with 5.9" of rise & it so much nicer on the steep climbs & just standing up. The most significant mod so far! :cry:

Toast's recommended setup for 180 # rider:

Preload the rear shock 8 mm, cost:free

Preload the front shocks 12mm & go to 15 wt oil, cost: under $10

Handle bars, cost: $65

Uncork & rejet with power needle, cost: under $30

These are the mods in my opinion you want to do very soon after purchase. Change the oil after about the first 15 min of riding too! Gets a lot of the metal shavings out & this bike doesn't have a very effective filter.

:cry:

Wow! & I thought I was the biggest guy on 230! :cry: :cry:

I do bottom mine out occasionally but I need a vertical drop of about 4-5 feet & that's with a rear spring preload of 10mm.

This is some great info guys, I was starting to worry that the bike wouldn't hold my weight, lol. Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by pre-loading the shock in the rear?

So all in all this bike should handle turns and bumps with my weight very well?

Preload is making the spring push up with "x" amount of force before there is even a load on it.

We usually call it the rear shock which means the rear spring too. I guess for clarity I should have said "rear spring". Sorry. :cry:

Above the spring there are 2 spanner type nuts. Back them both off. Then just snug the one that compresses the spring & turn the other one up 10 mm. Now turn the lower one down till it is 18 mm form the top one. This will give you you're 8mm of preload. A good place to start for 180 lb guy IMO. Then bring the top one down & snug.

It can handle your weight if set up right.

Thanks for the clarification Toast! That took a big question mark out of my head as to getting the 230, I just started seeing visions of bouncing off the bike when it bottomed out!

And you did say rear spring, I'm the one who mistyped it as rear shock. Oops.. But I am a newbie here so I am allowed some errors, haha. :cry: