Sign in to follow this  

KLX Idler Gear Lubrication

I've been wondering if some of the problems with the bushing in the idler gear is due to insufficient lubrication. I can't tell from the diagrams in the service manual where the bushing gets it's lubrication from. If any of you will be checking your idler gear, please check the shaft it rides on for any sort of oil passage. It looks like the idler gear is always rotating at about 1/4 the rpm of the crankshaft when the engine is running.

Ride on

Brewster

It gets plenty of oil! Early transmission shafts had oil holes on the clutch side of the case, which weakened the end holding the gear, and broke very easily. The next generation shaft, eliminated the holes on that side, and was much less prone to breaking off. The clutch drive gear slings oil all over the idler. It gets plenty of lube, and the bronze bushings require very little oil. Using a better material, and widening the bushing helps a little. Our bushing measured 8.8mm (I found one). I think we used Ampco 45.......but I'm gettin' old, and that was 10 years ago......... ForDRTnST, if you want a new auto release mechanism, send me a PM and I will mail you one free!