Sign in to follow this  

Staying on my bike mid air?

I thought i'd post here seen as you guys have more experience of jumping than most.

When i ride my XR650R motard over hump back bridges and the like i find it hard to stay on the bike. I tend to find that I seem to jump higher than the bike which as you could imagine is a bit un-nerving. Could i please possibly have a few tips as to how to stay with the bike to give me a bit more confidence to jump harder/further.

Besides the excellent advice above, you might also try increasing your rebound damping on your rear shock.

whats happening to you is timing. now it could be your bikes suspension adjustment. your bike is basically catapulting you off with its rebound. What you need to do right before take off is try to 'bunny hop' where you compress the suspension and jump up with it. This way you are timed with the bike and not opposite. good luck

whats happening to you is timing. now it could be your bikes suspension adjustment. your bike is basically catapulting you off with its rebound. What you need to do right before take off is try to 'bunny hop' where you compress the suspension and jump up with it. This way you are timed with the bike and not opposite. good luck

Yeah thats basicaly what i do when launching off speed bumps but i wasnt sure it was the same as for big jumps....

So basically i need to bunny hop even on the big jumps and hang on with my knees plus increasing the rebound damping..

Cheers guys...now i just need to find a nice bridge to jump off

This will sound funny but try to be one with the bike, when you jump use ur legs as part of the suspension. This way if you do rise above the bike you will have some breathing room.

Crash

So basically i need to bunny hop even on the big jumps and hang on with my knees plus increasing the rebound damping..

Nah. Like Dave says above, one really big trick is to learn to use your heels. Try a TT search in the MX Techniques forum on the phrase "heel lock" for the last 3 months or 6 months. You'll get several thread hits that talk about staying with the bike while still staying loose and relaxed and keeping your pivot point on the footpegs (and not up at the seat and tank with your knees).

Although, you should also keep in mind that the extra weight of your 650 is going to make jumping more problematical. I recently traded bikes with a fellow TT'er so that he could feel what a lighter bike feels like (my CRF450 and his XR400) -- he had a great time :cry: but I had to be extra cautious and conservative when it came to jumps. The extra weight exaggerated any takeoff balance errors, because it's harder to correct in the air with all that weight. You can still practice the balance and heel-lock techniques, and they will help no matter what you are riding. But IMHO, unless you're super-skilled already or nuts, you won't be jumping XR400s or 650s very far. Like I said, though, these tricks will definitely help you deal with "bridge bumps" and other stuff that you need to get some air over.

Check out the threads, and let us know what you think. TT is such a cool place. :cry: