Sign in to follow this  

Lingo

Can someone with more knowledge than me explain suspension basics ? If I read correctly there are two adjustments to be made using "clickers". Can someone give me the correct terms and explain them pls (front and rear) ? Also, given that I am a 230lb rider is it safe to assume that I should have the adjustments at their maximums for me to ride my bike on an MX track ? Thanks for any help in advance.

There are two basic types of suspension motion - compression (tire moving toward the fender) and rebound (tire moving away from the fender). The "clickers" are screw-type adjustments on the forks and shock that allow you to increase or decrease the resistance to each of these motions independently for both the front and rear of the bike. The major adjustments to the handling characteristics of the bike are made with these adjustments plus spring rates and spring preload. Most Honda owners manuals address these adjustments.

One thing to note:

Suspentions are adjusted in terms of "damping" So when talking about Compression damping, the MORE damping you dial in, the SLOWER the forks will compress.

The same thing applies for Rebound damping....the MORE damping, the SLOWER the forks return.

Good Luck

I was just going to post a question about this subject, to tame my confusion. I finally got new springs on and am heading to the track to try and dial it in...

I have seen numerous places the terms, as they relate to suspension adjustments, Slow/Fast, In/Out, and on the forks/shock it reads Hard/Soft. How do I get my brain reading all of these the same way?

Slow/Fast -

Hard/Soft - These first 2 I am fuzzy on...

In/Out - I am assuming In is clockwise turns, Out is counterclockwise.

Harder = IN

Softer = Out

IN is clockwise, this INCREASES DAMPING

OUT is counter-clockwise, this DECREASES DAMPING

That makes sense now. Does faster mean less dampening and slower more then?

Sorry for the newbie-ish questions...

Ahhh...

I feel enlightened and ready to hit the track with my new suspension (springs anyway...). Got the sag set and Im ready to roost! It feels like a new bike just standing on it, it doesnt just buckle under my enormous weight anymore. :cry: