Sign in to follow this  

Tested my RESERVE on my IMS 4.2 today

Hit reserve out on the trail a long way from home. 2003 DRZS with FCR39/Yosh Pipe/3x4 airbox mod. IMS 4.2 tank with vauum petcock (vacumm tube hooked to engine intake because of FCR). Spacer removed from petcock. Rode in 3rd/4th/5th gear and stayed off the squirter. Did 20 miles on reserve

when I got home and still had a little bit in the tank...Good thing to know just how far you can go on reserve. :cry:

I get real nervous when that happens on the trail.

I was out on my E last weekend and tried out a new trail by myself, when I hit 100 miles and hadn't gone onto reserve I turned the handle anyway and start saying my prayers. Made it back at 108 and still had a few tablespoons full sloshing in the bottom :cry:

Spacer removed from petcock.

When you removed the spacer, it put the petcock tubes even higher in the tank which added extra fuel to your reserve volume...happy accident in this case! :cry: Andrew

Yep...I learned that little tip about the spacer right here in the TT forum...I'd have never thought of it (I'm not that smart).

Spacer removed from petcock.

When you removed the spacer, it put the petcock tubes even higher in the tank which added extra fuel to your reserve volume...happy accident in this case! :cry: Andrew

I have consistantley got 250Km or 156miles to a tank before reserve on my IMS 4.2.I usually fill up when it hits reserve, but if i kept going a bit more, 300KM is not unreasonable. :cry:

Speaking of spacers under the petcock..i actually kept mine and also shortened the main intake pipe on the petcock, so reserve kicks in a little later.I perfer it this way, so when i do hit reserve i know i have taken it as far as i wanna go.Then i fill up, or have enough left to get back home or to the truck.

But then again Machinist...You make all those beautiful billet parts not to mention that beautiful tank that you made so you can just whip up whatever size petrol tank that suits you (Ever think about selling custom oversize aluminum tanks? hint-hint)...