Sign in to follow this  

Dog Creek Ride report

Well, took my new WR250f with a friend on a new CRF450 (both '03) up to dog creek.

Take the dog Creek exit (going north, Volmers? going south). Go west under freeway, take first dirt road to the right and you'll find a open staging area.

Other than dusty, the riding was GREAT! Some really good hill climbs (mostly quad wide...) and trails. Didn't get to explore that much, knew my WR was having some jetting issues, but wasn't obvious until this ride - pilot circuit DEFINITLY to rich (I think...). Ran fair until about 3000', then just ran like CRAP! Had NO low end power - sucks for hills :cry:

Anyway, there's definitly some good riding, towards the end of the day we found 3 gnarly hillclimbs all taking off of from one turn. The right was more traveled, hit that first but didn't have enough speed and wasn't lined up properly to use the slight left turn rut towards the top, stopped about 30' from top. Friend made it to 5' but got kicked almost sideways. My second attempt made it to within 3' and was able to push it to top. Friend rode it thru on his next attempt.

Then we started looking at the other line.

First 20' are REALLY steep! Then tapers off a little, next 40' to 2 small roots and a slight right turn past a tree.

Neither of us made it past the tree, just not enough traction.

This hill was so steep that on the "tapered off" part with the bike perpendicular to the hill, the bike was almost sitting verticle resting on just the tires and case...

After my third attempt (and 4 hours of riding...) I was WIPED OUT!

Anyway, just letting y'all know that it's a pretty good place to go if you're local to the redding area... :cry:

Did you ever talk to holeshot? Thank for the report I will have to check the area out one of these days.

BTW we are heading to rock creek(georgetown) on the 16 and 17th of this month. You and the little lady are welcome. Will be lots of ladies for her to ride with if she wants and it sounds like a cool place.

We'll see, don't have anything scheduled that weekend... :cry:

No, never got hooked up with holeshot...

I was thinking of checking that area out. I heard there is some single track. Most of my freinds are wusses and like to ride circles in fields.

Maybe we could hook up sometime?

pkley:

I took my 2003 YZ450 upto the lassen area to ride upto a lookout at 8,000ft. The YZ ran horrible. Took it to Lee's and had them jet it on there dyno and it ran a lot better after that.

I rode around the dog creek bridge area with my parents once, but didn't see any trails, mostly just old roads. I guess I missed all the good stuff. :cry:

Long ago I road from Fenders Ferry Rd (299E) to the dog creek bridge on a 1982 XT200. It was 78 miles. Not quite sure where/how we got from fenders/gilman to dog creek, but it was a really fun ride.

I saw some bear tracks up on fenders ferry about a month or two ago, so watch out for bears while riding in that area.

Cheers,

What's the riding like around Lassen, I haven't heard of any specific areas to ride, but the riding looks sweet! Lots of trees!

Working on rejetting bike as we speak, likely all I needed to do was drop the needle a couple clips... Ah well, now I know!

We mainly rode north parallel the freeway, then west.

I want to figure out how to hit the trails on the south side of the bridge, you can see some pretty decent hillclimbs from the freeway... :cry: