Dunlop D606 vs. Pirelli MT-21

I just survived my first offroad experience with those crappy deathwings. I see how they got their nickname now. So I figure I'd better get some better tires before I crash because of them. I'm thinking either Dunlop D606 or Pirelli MT-21. I've heard they are both good offroad tires. But is one better on-road in terms of grip and wear? I'll be doing a lot of road riding to get to work, but I still need a good off-road tire for the weekends.

I too had a near deathwing experience. I was looking for the dunlop 606 and it was going for around $130. I then set my sites on the Kenda 760 Trackmaster II . It goes for around $80. Then i happened to run into someone that had a brand new Pirrelli MT 21 for $60 so i just put it on yesterday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet . From what i hear the Kenda tire is the best for the money as the other two tires are alot more pricier here in Canada :cry:

:cry:

I paid $52 shipped for my rear 606. It's a good off-road tire so far (only 200 miles on it). I'm not sure about wear but I'd be surprized to get 1000 miles out of it. If the mt21 wears any better, I might try it next.

606's wear almost twice as long as 21's. 21's better on loose fire roads, 606's better in dirt. Both great on dry hard roads. In the wet?, I'm a chicken!

606's wear almost twice as long as 21's. 21's better on loose fire roads, 606's better in dirt. Both great on dry hard roads. In the wet?, I'm a chicken!

Just put one a couple hundred miles in Moab and the new D606 worked

very well. We did run into rain and it's slick in the wet! :cry:

I too had a near deathwing experience. I was looking for the dunlop 606 and it was going for around $130. I then set my sites on the Kenda 760 Trackmaster II . It goes for around $80. Then i happened to run into someone that had a brand new Pirrelli MT 21 for $60 so i just put it on yesterday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet . From what i hear the Kenda tire is the best for the money as the other two tires are alot more pricier here in Canada :cry:

I heard that Kenda's didn't last very long. That's why I didn't consider it. Any truth to this?

How long can I expect the D606's to last. I'll probably be doing 70%road / 30%dirt riding.

I heard that Kenda's didn't last very long. That's why I didn't consider it. Any truth to this?

Yes, that's especially true if you don't put at least 100-miles of

easy street use on them before hitting the dirt. The Kendas tend to

chunk badly without the easy street mileage. Oh, and that's

according to the manufacturer. :cry:

I burned up 3 of them in a year. They don't last long behind the

440 :cry:

jha07,

Bare in mind that the prices these guys are talking about are in U.S funds and not cross border shipped. I priced the Dunlop 606 stateside and it added up real fast plus the time waiting. Figure in additional costs when ordering stateside like the following....Exchange rate on the dollar,Goods and services tax,Provincial sales tax,Mail order processing fee of $5 and whatever duty is charged on the order. Then add in the cross border shipping charges and it is hardly worth it to order anything. So far i have ordered everything locally and saved money doing so.

jha07,

Bare in mind that the prices these guys are talking about are in U.S funds and not cross border shipped. I priced the Dunlop 606 stateside and it added up real fast plus the time waiting. Figure in additional costs when ordering stateside like the following....Exchange rate on the dollar,Goods and services tax,Provincial sales tax,Mail order processing fee of $5 and whatever duty is charged on the order. Then add in the cross border shipping charges and it is hardly worth it to order anything. So far i have ordered everything locally and saved money doing so.

I've ordered a few things from the states. Some have saved me, some worked out about the same. I'll have to make a few calls locally to see what D606 cost here, but since I have to order some other things anyways, I might order the tires as well. Plus the exchange rate is real good right now. The only thing I've found you have to be careful of when ordering from the states is UPS. They charge a ton on brokerage fees. Fedex and USPS are both much better.

:cry: :cry:

I have 2700 miles on my trip B counter...That equals 3 MT-21 rears, and 2 fronts...

Find something that gets better mileage IMO :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol::cry::lol:

I have 2700 miles on my trip B counter...That equals 3 MT-21 rears, and 2 fronts...

Find something that gets better mileage IMO :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol::cry::lol:

Ouch! That's a lot of rears you're going through. Is that mostly street or dirt riding?

Give these guys a call:

G. Bourques

1200 Champlain Street

Dieppe, NB E1A 1R1

Phone: 506-383-4585 Gilles Bourque

I know it's across the country, but it's worth a shot.

I'm on my 2nd Kenda trakmaster, and I wouldn't buy any other rear tire. If you want the best dirt tire that's still street legal, go with the kenda. IMO, the 606 and the MT-21, are far more road oriented.

I'm on my 2nd Kenda trakmaster, and I wouldn't buy any other rear tire. If you want the best dirt tire that's still street legal, go with the kenda. IMO, the 606 and the MT-21, are far more road oriented.

How long do the Kenda's last. I'm too cheap to be replacing tires all the time :cry:

And what the heck is "IMO". I keep seeing it and still haven't figured it out :cry:

How long do the Kenda's last. I'm too cheap to be replacing tires all the time :cry:

And what the heck is "IMO". I keep seeing it and still haven't figured it out :cry:

IMO = "In my Opinion" I,m running a Kenda 270, that's holding up way better, than the MT21 I had. The 270 is not nearly as aggressive as the MT21. But, it does alright in the dirt and is far superior on asphalt. I've got about 600 miles on it and it shows very little wear. At 600 miles, the MT21 was about 40% gone. I've given up on the ultra aggressive DOT tiers. They wear way to fast on asphalt.

both tire suck in the mud compared to a good dirt tire. the trackmaster 11 works fine in mud.