Sign in to follow this  

Jetting a WR450F(S)

I have asked this question before, but can't seem to find the answer anymore so bare with me. I want to know where to buy a jet kit for my bike and how do i do it? Do the instructions come with the kit?

I am asking because the spring i had trouble starting when the temperature dropped below 10 degrees C & now that the Fall is here i am having the same problem. I have to crank her over for about 3-4 minutes before she starts and kick starting is out of the question. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. :cry: :cry:

Jet kits are available by picking the banner ad at the top.

Stock jetting is lean. You should have much better luck starting with the kit. Use 2 quick twists of the throttle for cold starting and turn the fuel screw outwards 1/4 turn as temperatures drop below 10C.

Thanks,

James

On the bottom of the carburetor there is a "fuel screw" that adjusts the idle air/fuel mixture. It is to the left of the drain plug opening and main jet in this picture.

Turning the screw outwards increases fuel and inwards decreases fuel.

6mainjetaccess.jpg

Thank you very much. I'll try this the weekend. Once again your help is greatly appreciated. I'm only new at this, but with help like yours it makes learning easy. Just one more question. Is the fuel screw your talking about the same as the pilot screw they talk about in the manual? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, the pilot screw is what it's referred to as in the manual. We use the term fuel screw to avoid confusing it with an air screw used on 2-strokes. Turning the "pilot screw" outwards will richen the jetting at idle.

James

I was out this morning to try and get my bike going. I adjusted the pilot screw out 1/4 turn and she still didn't start. There was frost here this morning so it was a little cold. I'm waiting for the sun to warm up the engin a bit before i try again and i also have to wait for the battery to recharge. What do u suggest i try next? :cry: :cry:

WELL MY BUDDY HAS THE SAME BIKE AND HE FOULS PLUGS AFTER HES TRIED TO GET IT GOING FOR "HOURS". IT SEEMS YOU MIGHT HAVE TO YANK THE PLUG OUT AND REPLACE IT. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, IT ISNT THE EASIEST PLUG SWAP, BUT I BET IT'LL WORK. THERE IS DEFINETLY AN ART TO STARTING THAT BEAST!