Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125LE electric starter question

Sorry, this is probably a pretty dumb question, but my wife's bike won't start with the electric start. She hasn't ridden in a couple of weeks. When you hit the button, it just makes a rapid clicking sound, basically a buzz. I got it kick started fine.

Is this probably just the battery needing to be charged, or might this be a starter problem? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

if you leave the keys in the bike with them turned to "on", it will run the battery down.

I know. I keep reminding my wife not to do that, but she doesn't pay as much attention as she should. Are you saying it's the battery?

I don't know if Yamaha has changed the ignition/key switch but on the 2004 model TTR125LE the key does not isolate the battery. It is simply another kill switch that grounds out the ignition all the time in the off position. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see. My point is, leaving the key on will not cause the battery to go dead. I have removed the key switch on mine, the clutch and neutral switches, the relay for the neutral/clutch start and about a mile of wiring.