Sign in to follow this  

backfire screen

i no this might sound stupid but how do u remove the backfire screen and if it is removed will it hurt the bike in anyway.where is the backfire screen located.thanks

When you take out your air filter you will see the screens. You also have to remove the airbox to cut out the screens. It is a bit tricky and you do not want any sharp wires sticking out or they will damage your filter. Some people run the stock filter after, or Twin-Air sells a backfire retardent filter. Do a search using "backfire screen" and you should have lots of input.

If u pull off your air filter, you will clearly see the screen. Some people cut it out, which probably takes the disassembly of the airbox. If u do take it out, u should use a flame proof filter/oil.

i pulled my backfire screen out and made my own gasket to go back in its place.i traced around the backfire screen and then cut it out.have not had a fire yet.i dont was my filter in only twin air solvent.then out with water.

Its a good idea to reseal the entire air box when removing the back fire screen. The factory typicaly does not do an adequate job in this area.

Remove the air box and disassemble the boot and related plates. Clean all the components and disgard the screen frame, WMR and other companies offer a laser cut air box rings that will fit in place of the screen ring. Silicone every joint carfully as you re assemble. Always run the fire proof filter with this modification.

Hey WMR, does removing the screen realy increase the power? What do you need to do to the jetting? Have you done any dyno testing on just airbox mods?

Thanks for all of your help on this site. :cry:

sweet. ya i race a couple of cmrc rounds a few times. i went to bruderheim, i race 125 junior and gp junior. i am 487 on a kxf250. some lil shti fro mcalgary took my numbert that my dad used for liek 20 some odd years.

hey, i went to bruiderheim too. did you see jusin case over shoot the finish by 30 feet and fly right into the staging area fence? that was so funny just cause he talks like he is the next rc or roy but cant ride worth a sh*t. anyways, was his number 37 (your dads) cause some old lady came up to me and said that I stole her sons number and now he wont race because of it or sumthing...sure hope it wasnt urs cause its not even close to the number i asked for on the cmrc sheet but yeA, pm me sum time. maybe we can go for a moto or sumthin. :cry: :cry:

TonyE, I'm from Leduc so not to far away. I don't race, except with my buddies...maybe race a couple Vet class races next year as turning 30. We usually go to Rocky, Westlock, Bud Park, Calgary, and have been to Bruderheim (glad they opened up to the public again) Vegreville, Drumheller (which has a sweet 120' single to table :cry:). When I'm at the track I will look for the green machine with 487. :cry:

Hey WMR, does removing the screen realy increase the power? What do you need to do to the jetting? Have you done any dyno testing on just airbox mods?

Thanks for all of your help on this site. :cry:

Yes it will improve performance, any time you can improve air flow you are helping the motor run better. You will need to adjust your air screw and jetting slightly, because the air fuel mixture will have changed. We have done air box only runs on the dyno and saw 1/4 to 1/2 HP improvments. If you are porting or installing an aftermarket pipe the air box screen mod is even more important.

yes i remember when he over jumped the finish line. what the hell was going through his mind. also, my dad's old number was 407. yea, sure, we mnight have to meet soemwhere to duel out, even with canadian kawi! :cry: :cry: :cry: