Sign in to follow this  

To clutch or not to clutch

I need opinions from those with the experience to know, not what the manual says.

For 4 years I have short shifted (up and down shift without clutch) my DRZ. :cry: Suffice to say it will take severe single track riding without causing damage.

I need advice from those who do the same. How will my 04 450 exc hold up to this type of shifting

Is this style common? Its what I have grown up with and I never owned a bike long enough to have a clutch or gear set break.

You can do it in a pinch but it is not recommended. Very hard on the tranny in the long run. I am not saying don't , I am saying save clutchless shifting for moments when you can't release the bars to grap clutch lever.

Transmission repair is VERY EXPENSIVE !

Cher'o,

Dwight

PONIE,

Sounds like your riding terrain and style is a lot like mine here in Idaho.

I've got over 5,000 miles and 320 hours on my 2001 400EXC and I only use the clutch when starting/stopping or the terrain get really technical. I've never had a problem with gears or a clutch. The key is to try and match the engine RPM, either accelerating or decelerating, to the tranny when you shift and it slips right in to gear. If you're a real gear banger, it requires a more precise amount of coordination between the right hand and left toe.

If you've been doing it with your DRZ you'll do fine with that shifting style on a KTM. :cry:

Jeff