Sign in to follow this  

Crappy stock KTM 525 EXC Tire?

I just purchased a new '05 525 EXC and took it up to Gorman for the first ride today. The tires got so worn after only 4 hours of riding...what's the deal? My dad just got a new tire on his XR400, so both of our rear tires were brand new, but at the end of the day, his tire still looked new. At this rate, I'm going to need new tires after about 20 hours of riding. Anyone else have this problem???

I believe the stock tire is soft, and the terrain I was riding on was rocky...I know this is why the tire is chewed up already, but why would KTM put a soft tire on?

The PSI on the tires were right, so that wasn't the problem.

The tires that come stock on the KTM 525's are good quality soft/intermediate tires. They will wear faster than a hard terrain tire or pure intermediate tire. If you switch to hard terrain tires they will last longer, but I think you will be disappointed in the traction they provide. Every time I have tried a hard terrain tire I have removed them before they were worn out.

I find that a compromise in tires, for hard terrain, is the best bet. Get your favorite intermediate/soft terrain tire for the front and a Maxxis IT rear tire and you will be very happy. The IT works really well on hard terrain and it wears really well.

I haven't tried the Maxxis IT front yet, but I understand that it has been improved over the earlier less successful model. I am going to try it as soon as my M59 wears out.

Oh, by the way, I have never gone more than twenty hours on any rear tire on a big bore four stroke!

They say the new cast swingarm better matches the EXC's 18 inch rear tyre - higher tyre sidewalls on the 18's give more flex and therefore different handling characteristics....how come the 525SX with a 19 inch rear keeps the extruded swing arm??

I highly recommend the Pirelli MT16 tire. Great tire and best price on any Pirelli. Wears well. Now, I replace my tires on average every 3 enduros. Figure that an enduro is about 3 to 4 hrs of riding then that is about every 12 hrs or so. 20hrs of riding is a lot. If you are averaging 20 to 24 mph that would be 400 to 480 miles. If you are riding in any rocks that would be a lot of miles.

Cher'o,

Dwight